Chapter Fifty

I looked around the dank room, taking note of each blood-crusted torture tool, discarded bloodied rag, and the half-empty perfume bottle the guard carelessly tossed on the ground after dispelling any trace of the creep's scent before I was able to take note of its distinctions. Since the man's smell had been removed, I had been looking for anything that could've been left behind to give me a clue to his identity. I sighed before changing my focus to the silver cuffs connected to the chains that kept me suspended in the air. The skin around the warm metal was absent, leaving my tissue exposed. I wiggled my fingers for reassurance that my mobility had fully returned. How could I get out of here? The pain that wrapped my body was excruciating. Electric waves of pain ebbed and waned with each breath.

Before I could swing my legs forward, I heard the lock jingle behind me. I immediately relaxed my body and closed my eyes, feigning unconsciousness. The door banged open, giving way to the uneven footsteps that grew closer to me. If that pervert came back, I would claw his eyes out, blinding him to the torment that awaited him. The person stopped right before me and hummed as they assessed my bloody form.

"Cyri has always been an overachiever," a voice I recognized as the gloved warrior said with humor in his tone.

The bastard grabbed me by my curls, pulling my head back uncomfortably to examine my face. I reminded myself of the things that were more important than snapping the man's neck to calm my simmering rage.

"Finally, that disgusting smugness of yours is gone. Too bad about the face, though. I was expecting to see it carved," the warrior said thoughtfully.

He released my hair without warning, my head falling like dead weight, before he fussed with my chains. With one last click of the fixture, I was dropped to the filthy, blood-coated floor, free from my silver accessories. I fought the gag that struggled in my throat as my nose rested above the pungent drain. The gloved man carelessly picked me up and tossed me over his pointy shoulder, my body screaming in protest as he began to walk. After having readjusted me, the man fished around in his pocket. I open my eyes slightly, curiously looking at the small gold key he removed from his pants as the rest of the contents that were once housed with it loudly fell to the ground. He sighed with annoyance as he turned to see where everything fell, haphazardly knocking me harshly against the wall beside the door and a small side table that was being used to hold the surgical-looking equipment that clattered to the stone floor. He growled lowly as his anger peaked, stupidly looking at the mess he made. I closed my eyes again as he stormed out of the room. The presence of more warriors slowly surrounded me. He only walked a few paces before stopping in front of a door and unlocking it. He tossed me to the ground as soon as he entered, searing pain shot up my spine where it touched the grime-coated wall.

"Disgusting," he muttered as he worked to attach yet another set of silver chains to my left wrist, giving me enough slack to remain on the ground.

I could hear rushed footsteps rapidly approaching us as I fought hard to regulate my breathing, the throbbing ache making the task difficult.

"What is it, Jason?" the gloved warrior asked as he paused in fastening the other cuff around my right wrist.

"There was another attack on the southwest border! All available men have been called to protect the pack," he rushed out between pants.

The man cursed as he hastily secured the silver bracelet before rushing to follow the other warrior, slamming the door behind him. Once the lock slid into place, I opened my eyes. Seeing around the dark room in my current state was challenging, but I knew I would rather be partially blinded to the filth that clung to every stone. I turned and spat out the heavy iron key I had taken from the wall I was so lovingly slammed against. I looked over at my right wrist as I tried to ignore the grime that coated my mouth, finding the cuff loose.

"Well, aren't we lucky," I thought as I began to let my mental barriers down.

--

My ribcage ached as I took in ragged breaths, steadying myself on my forearms. The burgundy lace sleeves of my dress gathered at my elbows, my shoulders exposed. Only shreds of the once smooth satin held the tattered fabric together around my body. I could only imagine how my bloody back looked, feeling the sting of each lash with every inhale. My watery eyes darted around the dark room, slowly adjusting to my pitch-black surroundings. The dank room was bare, the only pop of color coming from the old, crusted blood spots that dotted the ground.

A low growl rattled my mind as I felt Enyo's slow return as she stalked the shadows.

"I will burn this pack to the ground," she threatened as she bared her sharp canines.

"As tempting as that sounds, we have more pressing matters. We have to move while those wolves are preoccupied," I explained as I panted on the ground.

She grumbled before nodding. I felt her focus our depleting energy on slowing the blood that slowly trickled into the already soaked fabric and the stone floor.

"Were you able to reach Aias?" I asked as I fished around in my hair, retrieving a few bobby pins.

"The barrier between us was no longer there, but still, he didn't answer my calls. I warned them regardless," Enyo sadly answered.

"And Atlas?"

"He sent word as soon as I opened our connection. He said that I was his favorite, the twins are back, and everything is set," she said with subtle amusement.

"The first part was unnecessary," I muttered, shoving the key into the tightest part of my right sleeve.

"Jealousy looks ugly on you. Now stay still and let me concentrate. I came back to a mess," Enyo ordered.

"You were warned," I said matter of factly.

She rolled her eyes with a huff as I rested my forehead against my arms.

"Why does our mouth taste so horrid?" she asked as she shook out her fur in disgust.

My light chuckle was cut short as pain wrapped around my lungs, stealing my breath.

"Oh, how I've missed you, Wolfy," I mumbled as my eyes closed.