Chapter Thirteen

I pushed my head through a stretchy grey pullover and pulled on a pair of grey knit lounge pants, enjoying the feeling of the soft fabric on my skin. I cleaned and patched myself up in the bathroom, refusing treatment from the doctor. The attending nurse ran out of the room as soon as I knocked on the door, desperately wanting to leave. A breeze danced into the room through the broken window, introducing a fresh smell into the otherwise stale surrounding. Thankfully, the nurse cleaned the space in my absence, probably stress induced. The door opened as I padded to Nox, stretching as I went. The Alpha entered the room bare-chested, only a pastel green pair of scrubs saving his modesty. The Beta followed closely behind him, giving me a look of disdain.

"Isn't there somewhere else more important to be right now? Maybe with the redhead's family?" I asked as I watched the Beta close the door.

"How did you know?" the Alpha asked as he crossed his arms.

"Because the ground is still covered in her blood," I answered with a shrug.

"You know that's not what he is asking, Rogue," the Beta said with agitation.

"I keep hoping that you are the next body found. But maybe I'm praying to the wrong God," I muttered as I sat on the bed's edge.

The Beta growled.

"Enough! How did you know there was a rogue nearby?" the Alpha asked again as he slammed his fist on the nearby counter.

I tapped my ears.

"I told you to shut up and listen. But, unfortunately for her, you chose not to," I said nonchalantly.

"How could a filthy mutt know that another Rogue was in the forest? Despite all the hospital noises and the entire pack roaming outside your window, how could only you know something else was there?" the Beta wondered aloud.

"I would call it instincts."

"Did you lead them here? We haven't had a Rogue make it this far into our pack in years!" the Beta speculated.

"If I had the power to lead other Rogues, I wouldn't be in my current situation," I retorted, gesturing around me.

"What did you hear specifically?" the Alpha inquired.

"The dogwood shrubs that cover your tree line to the left started shaking far off from that dirt path that your pack travels," I said as I glanced out of the window.

The Alpha walked over and looked out of the broken window, following my line of sight.

"What else?" he urged.

"That was all."

"Impossible. The forest is full of animals that could've made that noise. What else is there?" the Alpha demanded as he turned to me.

"I trust my instincts and wolf," I said casually.

"Don't play with me, mutt."

"Instead of asking dead-end questions, you should instead ask your patrols how a Rogue, who could barely last in a fight, make it past every single one of them twice. The two guards in front of my window didn't even smell it," I redirected.

The Alpha looked over at the Beta, briefly mind-linking before looking back at me.

"Where is the Rogue now?" the Beta asked.

"Follow your nose. The stench of death should be enough of a guide," I said nonchalantly.

"If I could make a suggestion," I added as I looked over at the brooding Alpha.

He looked at me with curiosity and agitation.

"I would send your most competent warriors to search through your territory," I proposed.

"And why is that?" the Beta asked.

"There's at least one more Rogue out there," I answered over my shoulder, keeping my eyes on the Alpha.

"What do you know?" the Alpha demanded.

"Nothing. It's just a hunch," I said with a smirk.

"I'm not in the mood for these games!" the Alpha yelled.

I shrugged my shoulders as I leaned back on the bed, keeping close to Nox.

"Why not? The fun is just beginning."

"Tell you what, if your warriors cannot find the other Rogue within three hours, I'll take care of it in less than two," I added.

"We aren't bargaining with a disgusting Rogue," the Beta interjected.

"Your days are slipping through your fingers fast," I retorted with a murderous stare.

"What do you want in exchange?" the Alpha asked begrudgingly.

I turned to him with a smirk.

"Two things. First, I want our belongings with everything in them returned. I'm sure your pack has found our bags and searched them thoroughly. I want everything back. Second, I want a better room. These white walls make me...murderous, and the smell is repulsive," I requested as I looked around.

"Absolutely not. I will find the Rogue myself if I have to," he quickly retorted.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Good luck with finding your wolf," I said with a smirk.

The two men mind linked once more before they stalked out of the room.

"Oh, Alpha," I called out before he disappeared from my sight.

He looked over his shoulder, standing at the edge of my eyesight. I looked over at him with a straight face devoid of anything.

"The offer expires at sundown," I warned, Enyo flashing in my eyes.

He growled deeply before storming off.