Chapter Eight

I stood by the mirror for ten hours straight, and my only rest was from leaning against the wall framing. The blood crusted on my body as my wounds began to close, a bit delayed from the silver still running through my veins. I ignored my pain as my nerves overwhelmed my mind, my nail's cuticles suffering from my constant biting. I observed each blood transfusion, silver drainage, and emergency resuscitation. I used Enyo's sight to watch as Doctor Iaso sutured his wounds carefully. His back looked shredded far worse than mine; pink tissue and ribbons of his once honey skin danced before my eyes, the doctor stitching each piece together. He always had a higher pain tolerance, such a glutton for punishment. My wolf was on edge, two seconds from going on a blood-lusted binge. I stewed in anger as I watched my best friend fight for his life. If I weren't so set on watching the rise and fall of his marred chest, I would've given in to my animalistic nature, filling this hospital past its capacity. The Alpha stormed out shortly after I gave my promise, his wolf unsettled with his mate's pure intentions. I couldn't care less. I refused to lose my family a second time.

At the twelve-hour mark, Doctor Iaso removed her gloves as the nurses finished the surgery, walking out soon after. I watched the nurses even harder for mistakes. Then, a soft knock rapped on the door after a few minutes before it slowly opened. I didn't bother to look over my shoulder. The scent of antiseptic and subtle notes of Nox's blood told me enough.

"What news do you have for me, Doctor?" I asked as I watched a nurse gently clean his clammy skin.

"Because of the trauma, he slipped into a coma. His wolf initiated a deep slumber to heal from the large amounts of silver they were subjected to. We removed as much silver as possible and transfused his blood with our best supply. We will have to monitor him for twenty-four hours to ensure the blood of a higher-ranked wolf will not be rejected. Since he is a Rogue, we didn't know what to use, but stronger blood will quicken his recovery and strengthen his chance of survival. We have Omega blood on standby," she explained as she walked up to me.

"What are his chances?"

"For a stronger wolf, the chances are favorable. Recovery time takes anywhere from three to six weeks. For a lesser wolf, it's hard to say. The chances are cut by at least 40%. He's lucky to even still be alive."

I nodded as I processed everything, my hands tightening into fists.

"I want to be roomed with him," I demanded.

"I don't—" she started.

"For the sake of your hospital, it would be in everyone's best interest."

"I'll see what I can do," she said with a sigh as her eyes glossed over for a moment.

"You need to be treated for your wounds," she added.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry about me."

"It's my job to worry," she said as she walked over to me.

She ignored my words and boldly peeked at my back. I let her examine me as I saw some nurses leave the surgery floor.

"Thank you," I whispered.

She stopped moving.

"In exchange for what you have done for him...for us, I will protect you and your family's lives for as long as I am around," I added.

"There's no need for that, dear. I am a doctor. I meant to keep you alive no matter the circumstances," she said as she put a hand on my shoulder.

"There are doctors dedicated solely to contributing more to wolves' suffering than healing. They hold roles...titles...favors over lives. Not all doctors save lives, as not all Alphas are concerned about their pack's well-being. Morals and pack positions are not synonymous," I explained as I watched them pull a blanket to Nox's chest before rolling him out.

"I will protect you in this life and the next with the Moon Goddess' favor for your morality and kindness because I never gave you a reason to be," I added as I looked her in the eyes.

She smiled softly as she took in my promise.

"Let's get you into a room and get you looked at so that you can live up to your words," she said with a soft chuckle as she gently took me by the hand.

Doctor Iaso brought me to yet another identical white room, but with two hospital beds. Nox lay peacefully by the window, leaving me the bed by the door. The doctor tended my wounds and dressed me in a fresh hospital gown.

"Please don't kill my nurses when I'm gone. They will check in periodically to check on both of your vitals," she asked as she helped me into the bed, my adrenaline quickly fading.

"I will try my best," I muttered dismissively.

"And I put on your chart to allow meals. So please try to eat something," the doctor nagged.

"Anything else?" I asked as she offered me a blanket.

"Killing...meals...I think that's the most important things. Oh! On his bed, there is a yellow call button. If there is any problem, press that immediately. My nurses will help until I can get here," she explained.

I nodded as I lay down. She gave me one last smile after checking the room and left. I waited until her footsteps faded before slipping out of my bed. Then, I carefully squeezed into the small space in Nox's bed, dragging my blanket behind me. My pain was coming back tenfold as my guards fell, my energy almost depleted. Nox lay on his stomach, facing me as I ensured I could see the doorway nestled by his side.

"You have four weeks," I warned as my eyes softly closed, my forehead resting against his shoulder.