Chapter Sixty-Three

"CALISTA! Please, don't leave me. You're everything I could've ever wanted," she yelled crestfallen.

"You deserve so much more," I whispered.

Enyo looked around frantically in the darkness at my voice, her tail wagging slightly.

"And so do you. I'm sorry I failed to protect you and Mom. I understand why you pushed me away. I promise to do better," she whimpered, her ears low to her head.

I shook my head as I inched forward through the darkness.

"I failed you. I pushed you away to protect you from voices. They—they ruined my mind. I couldn't have them do the same to you. I wasn't strong enough to keep them away."

"I prayed to the Moon Goddess to pair you with someone stronger if I died. I want—" I began to add.

"There is no me without you. I would refuse another pairing if it wasn't to your soul. We promised, remember? Together forever and then even after that," Enyo said as her tail wagged slowly.

I stepped out of the shadows of my mind, hesitant. Enyo whimpered as she inched closer. When we were inches away, she pushed her head into my chest as her tail wrapped around my legs. I felt my missing pieces clicking back together.

"I've missed you, wolfy. You're the only voice I want to hear in my mind," I whispered unevenly as my throat burned with raw emotion.

She snuggled in further as I wrapped my arms around her.

"I will maul you if you do that again. I don't want to go back to the shadows now that I know what it feels like to live in the light," Enyo threatened.

"I'm sorry."

We embraced for a moment before Enyo quickly jumped from my arms, looking out into the distance. My mother's all-black wolf, Gaea, slowly walked into the area, unsure of herself. It would be the only time her wolf would be able to meet her pup. Enyo walked over hesitantly before throwing caution to the wind and bounding over to her. They lovingly welcomed each other, somber excitement overcoming them both. I watched happily as Gaea licked Enyo's head, snuggling her every few minutes.

I heard a distant voice saying something jumbled. It sounded so familiar.

"It's time, my pups," my mother said as she appeared on the side of her wolf.

"But I just got the chance to meet my mom," Enyo whimpered as she pushed herself back into Gaea, and I rushed into my mother's embrace.

"I can't leave you again. I barely survived the first time," I broke down as I clutched to her tightly.

"Never misunderstand me, my loves. We do not want to leave you. We never have. But Noah and so many others need you more." My mother soothed.

She softly grabbed my face, forcing our eyes to meet.

"You are destined for great things, Lisy. Far greater than I ever was. You have to continue on for me, for us. We sacrificed everything to have you, and we would do it ten times again. You are and will always be my greatest creations. My heart personified. My gift to the world. Whenever you forget yourself or miss my presence, think back to this moment. I have cleared the madness for now, so you can always see me. I wished we had more time together, pups, but I am on borrowed time," she explained as she caressed my face.

"Nyx!" someone called out in the distance.

My mother smiled as she brushed the curls from my face.

"I love you both more than you could ever imagine. You are perfect to me in every way, no matter how many times you fall or make mistakes. You will change the world, pups, but it will get dark before the sun comes out again. So, hold those who you trust tight and your wolf even tighter. Be careful with whom you share your heart, and always find Pythia if you stray too far. She will help you on your journey and teach you how to get rid of the madness for good."

"I'm so sorry, pups, but the road before you is tough. You have to get stronger and quickly. I have no doubt you will succeed. You also need to strengthen your bond with each other. Even if I cannot be here or when Noah, or Nox as you call him now, is away, you can help and protect each other. There's a reason your souls are tied. Don't try to sever it again," my mother explained.

"I think she's over here!" another voice shouted. Trademarked property of J.Evo, exclusively on Wattpad

"I love you, mommy. We will make you proud," I said, trying my best to stop the onslaught of tears that threatened my weak resolve.

"You already have, Lisy. Any time you stumble or find yourself at the edge of the world again, I will be there to help you find your way back. I promise. Just think of me," she said before kissing my forehead again.

"Bye, mommy. It was nice to meet you," Enyo said, her voice growing distant.

"Until we meet again, my love. Don't forget to always give them hell for me, Enyo," Gaea lovingly responded.

"You're so badass," Enyo said with sad amazement as Gaea chuckled in the distance.

I opened my eyes to find myself on my back, staring at the moon through the treetops. My mother's presence vanished, taking her citrus blossom scent with her. I sighed as I wiped my face and rose to a sitting position. Enyo nestled into my mind, giving me comfort. I looked around at the trees in confusion. The cliff was no longer in sight, and I was no longer tainted with my best friend's blood. Was she really here? What happened?

Something caught the corner of my eye before answers found me. I turned to my right to find a new pure silver dagger, my old, blood-crusted one nowhere to be found. In the moonlight, the swirling etching of the blade shined. I hesitantly grabbed the wrapped hilt, finding it the perfect fit for me. It was balanced with the perfect weight, giving me even more questions than answers. I looked at it in awe and confusion as someone cleared their throat behind me.

"Well, how was your time with your mother?" Pythia asked, her aged, dual-colored eyes sparkling with knowing. 

Author's note: Suprise, a double drop! I'm not that heartless to leave Enyo in distress. Thoughts so far? Thanks for reading. We don't have too much more to go 🤧.