Chapter Twenty-Nine

"What happened?" Nikias asked as he hastily walked over to Orion, stretching out a hand to help his Delta.

"Of course, a Rogue would attack during a mind link. Boorish mutt," Kass muttered as she eyed me.

I winked at her as I pulled my sweatshirt over my head. She growled lowly.

"Nikias. Kass. Get to the northern border. I'll debrief you once I get there," Orion sternly ordered as he got to his feet, immediately returning to his Delta role.

They both left without question, sensing the shift in his demeanor.

"What happened?" I asked as I picked up my shoes as soon as they were out of earshot.

He set his jaw as he walked over to me. The blood on his fresh wounds began to dry against his rough skin like abstract art.

"The council sent word. They want to know where that green disturbance originated," Orion answered in a hushed tone as he looked around.

"And the trackers?"

"The trail stopped two miles from the northern border."

I hummed.

"Let's ge—" he started.

"You'll be led past your borders, where they will attempt to kill you," I interrupted.

"I deserve answers, Nyx," he urged as he caught my eye.

I stared for a moment before looking away.

"And you will get them."

"What's important right now is what to choose with the options I gave you. Will you take me with you or simply my scent?" I added.

"You know I can't take you," he answered hastily.

"And you know I will not be able to help you from the pack house," I rebutted.

"I will not need your help, Nyx. I command an army and will have two of the best warriors beside me."

"I can't decide for you, but I can advise against it. Your warriors will not be enough."

"Who's doing this? What's out there?" Orion asked as he grabbed my forearm.

"That's not the right question, Delta. Don't waste them," I replied, pulling my arm out of his reach.

"What do you advise us to do?" he asked after a long pause.

"Four rules. First, you must keep my scent on you at all times. No matter the circumstance. If you shift, your wolf must carry it. It's the only weapon you have to get you back home. Second, listen for the leaves. They will alert you well before your eyes will see a wolf's fur. Third, if you care about those friends of yours, you will keep them close to you at all times. Don't split up. Even if you and your warriors are chasing multiple wolves and they break off in different directions, you will not break up from the rest," I stressed.

He thought for a while.

"And what of the fourth?" he asked.

I smirked.

"If all else fails and your life is in danger, you must call for Enyo. She will be the only one that can save you," I explained as Enyo's tail wagged softly.

"Who's Enyo?" Orion questioned as his brow furrowed.

"Your only hope," I said as her grey irises circled around my hazel hue.

I sat at the small table, sipping hot tea as I looked out the window at the quiet life surrounding the pack house. I was dressed in a loose, flowing red dress for quicker access in case I needed to shift. My curls were free and voluminous around my shoulders. Orion left two hours ago, dressed in blood-red leather saturated with my scent. Now the only smells that remained behind were the powerful musk of jasmine and the subtle sweet notes of wildflower honey. I heard the soft, rhythmic sounds of Diona's snoring and paper ruffling as her gentle breaths rattled the loose-leaf homework pages that scattered my bed, discarded long before she fell into a deep sleep. I often found my eyes wandering to the treetops, examining how the leaves danced. While some twirled in familiarity, others swayed to their own rhythms.

Enyo paced around the edges of my mind, ready for anything. Her energy left my nerves frayed.

"He'll be fine. Our scent is enough," I reassured.

"The forest is unpredictable," she retorted as she changed directions.

I sighed.

"And so is he...unfortunately," I griped as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

The subtle smell of lavender tickled my nose as the distant noise of uneven shuffling filled my ears. I smiled softly as the noise grew louder. Enyo's fur bristled as her ears followed the noise, her canines flashing. I brought the teacup to my lips, the robust flavors tickling my palate as the door slowly cracked open.

"Excuse me," a soft voice called out from the threshold.