Chapter Sixty

Fragrant, herbaceous aromas of pot marigolds and green tea leaves enveloped the room as the clinks of a stone pestle hitting the mortar bounced off the pristine walls of the hospital room. Diona had returned with my laundry list of medicinal vegetation several hours after daybreak, covered in dirt and sweat. After she cleared the nearby, discarded overbed table and laid out her findings in my eyesight, I dictated the careful steps of prepping each herb and starting the salve creation process.

"Not too much aloe vera," I quickly corrected, catching her before she could drop the big glob of clear gel into the mortar.

Outside of my brief instructions, we worked in a comfortable silence for an hour before Rhea returned with Nox and my bags. She placed them on the chair beside Diona and me, quickly unfastening the straps to my bag.

"On the outside of my bag, there is a small, hidden slit. Inside the small pouch is a small vial with a few bluish, purple leaves. We will need both," I explained as Rhea followed my directions.

The large exotic leaves were folded neatly and wrapped around a clear vial containing a glimmering, light blue liquid.

"What is this?" Rhea asked as she closely inspected the leaves.

"They are atcinda leaves. Atcinda is a colorful, elusive plant full of medicinal benefits," I answered as I breathed through a muscle spasm.

"They are beautiful," Diona said in awe.

"Beautiful but deadly if used improperly," I warned.

"And this?" Rhea asked as she looked over the vial.

"It has many names, but I know it as Poseidon's tears. It boosts the effectiveness of any salve tenfold and quickens recovery time for the most severe injuries."

"Add half an atcinda leaf and two drops of tears to finish the salve," I added.

After a few more stirs, Diona brought the mixture to my bedside. I dipped two fingers into the salve and rubbed it in between my fingers, inspecting the quality. I took a lungful of the complex, floral aroma as I examined its vibrant color. Before I could speak, the distant sounds of thundering footsteps walking towards us caught my attention.

"We have to clear the room quickly. We will test the salve tonight," I warn them.

They nodded before Diona hastily began to put the ingredients into my bag as her mother worked on sterilizing the space. I watched as they quietly moved about the room, adjusting the furniture as they went. Just as Diona concealed both bags behind the medical supplies in one of the cabinets, two bastards barged into the room. Rhea looked up at the men over my bed, feigning to have been checking my sutures.

"Leave us," the Alpha commanded.

Rhea nodded and tucked the covers around my lower body before ushering Diona out of the room. The doctor mouthed, ' Be good ' before she closed the door completely. If my body didn't feel like it was being engulfed in fire, again, I would've laughed.

The Alpha eyed my lashings as he pulled a chair next to my bedside, his eyes warming my marred skin. I gave him a once-over as he sat down. The brute wore a taunt, black button-down with the sleeves rolled up his forearm. The black slacks that clung to his muscular legs were expertly tailored, and his matching shoes were shined to perfection. Mixed in his alluring leather and sandalwood scent lay a metallic undertone, making me question where he came from. It would seem that his all-black attire was not worn for a simple fashion statement. Trademarked property of J.Evo, exclusively on Wattpad.

My eyes drifted toward the bitch leaning against the far wall, dressed in a burgundy attire that complimented his Alpha's outfit choice. The Beta examined my wounds as well, delight shining in his eyes despite his blank face. Oh, how I couldn't wait to make him bleed.

"The guard that did this to you has been taken care of," the Alpha spoke into the tense air.

I lazily met his gaze, letting my silence and indifference sing his praises.

"He was not acting on behalf of myself or the Council. Disobedience is not tolerated in this pack, and he has been dealt the same fate that he gave to you. I saw to it personally," he added.

Still, I only watched him in silence.

"Do you hear the Alpha speaking to you? You will treat him with respect," the Beta threatened.

I looked over at the pathetic man and simply rolled my eyes. The Alpha dismissively waved off the Beta before he could retaliate, sensing my rising unwillingness to engage with them. The Beta looked at me with barely concealed contempt before leaving the room in frustration. I turned my attention back to the Alpha with a raised brow, waiting for him to discuss what actually brought him to my bedside. He cleared his throat before speaking once more.

"I will make this brief so that you can rest. Right after nightfall, a few days ago, multiple groups of rogues attacked my borders from widely differing spots. My territory is vast, yet they could synchronize their moves miles apart. Since then, they have continued their assault, targeting different areas each time. They aren't crazed like the usual rogues we have encountered. They are organized and even more ruthless," the Alpha explained.

"We almost captured one to get answers finally. My warriors had slaughtered its comrades and worn down the Rogue before shackling it in silver chains. But before they could cross the borders, two hidden Rogues rushed my men and took the wolf's life, killing themselves in the process. I've read through every report from the past couple of Alphas. Neither my father nor grandfather ever mentioned Rogues of this caliber," he finished while running his fingers through his auburn hair.

"He's cunning," Enyo groggily whispered, surprising me.

I thought for a moment, taking in each detail given.

"Not smart enough," I retorted as I began to put the puzzle together.

"Nyx," the Alpha called out, slicing through my thoughts as if his voice was the only thing that mattered.

It unnerved me the way my skin tingled as I looked over at him, his voice saying my name replayed on a loop like a catchy song.

"Did they attack anywhere multiple times?" I asked, forcing the disgusting reactions away.

"The southwest region," he quickly answered.

"Anywhere that they missed?" I questioned thoughtfully.

He reflected for a moment, tapping his foot in poorly contained frustration. And then, the light switched, and he got to his feet.

"The north," he whispered as he began to walk away.

"Those who have moved against me will fall, Alpha," I warned, feeling my simmering rage.

He paused at the door, quickly looking over his shoulder at me.

"Are you threatening me, Rogue?" he asked, a low growl rumbling his chest.

"I am simply reminding you and your listening Beta. I never forget my enemies."