Chapter Thirty

I languidly peered out of the corner of my eyes at her, otherwise ignoring her. The woman was tall, dressed in a curve-hugging yellow wrap dress. The silky fabric was decorated with delicate green floral prints matching her gold leaf necklace. A high slit along her left side, stopping mid-thigh, showed off her long flowing legs and beige pointed flats. Her long brown hair was wavy, with her natural highlights dancing in the light. She wore a timid smile, hoping to distract from the curiosity and mischief that shined in her brown irises. Having seen enough, my attention returned to the treetops.

"Excuse me," she called out again after a tense silence.

I felt my skin ripple as the softness in her voice egged on Enyo's aggression. I clicked my tongue against the roof of my mouth as I placed the teacup down on its saucer with a soft clink. I looked at her again, folding my hands in my lap to prevent them from reaching for her throat.

"It is not polite or becoming for a wolf to traipse into rooms without permission. I thought that would be common knowledge...but here you are," I coldly reprimanded as I sat back in the chair, subtly creating as much distance as possible.

She looked surprised at my criticism before recovering her composure.

"I wasn't aware that this room was occupied. Forgive my intrusion," the woman softly apologized.

Diona shuffled in her sleep, her papers falling carelessly to the floor, immediately catching the woman's attention.

"Diona? What are you doing here?" she asked as she began to walk toward Diona's sleeping form, occasionally glancing at me.

A low growl rumbled through my chest, stopping the woman mid-stride.

"She is where she belongs. I would appreciate it if you did the same," I quipped.

"You should mind your tone, wolf. I have done nothing to earn your coldness," the woman argued.

I smirked as Enyo bared her canines.

"You are mistaken," I said as I slowly rose from my chair.

"It is you who should watch your tone. You've barged into my room uninvited and have mustered the courage to keep pushing your boundaries. But, just because you keep the Alpha's dick warm doesn't save your life from me," I explained maliciously.

She gasped as she clasped her chest. I rolled my eyes.

"I know who you are just as you know who I am," I added.

She looked at me for a moment before a small smile graced her lips.

"If you knew who I was, you would've known you should watch your words. The Alpha is not fond of disrespect, Rogue," she said calmly.

"You assume that I am afraid of your Alpha," I said in amusement.

"Everyone is afraid of the Demon Alpha. If you cared about your life...and your brother's, you would—" she began.

Before her eyes could land on Nox, I had her pinned to the wall by her throat. My nails had strengthened and grown into claws, drawing blood from where they punctured her delicate skin. She kicked out at me, and the hardwood that harshly dug into her back, hoping to break my hold on her. But, instead, I gripped her throat tighter. I leaned in close as my eyes swirled with grey and hazel, a terrifying masterpiece.

"The world is full of monsters far more intimidating than your pitiful Alpha. If you had one active brain cell, you would know the face of death when you see her. A bitch, whose only value is as a breeding substitute, should know her place when talking to someone above her. But it looks like I need to teach you," I threatened in a guttural tone.

She whimpered as she lashed out at me, trying to hit anything she could touch. I roughly slammed her against the wall again. The sudden racing of her heartbeat as her blood violently rushed through her veins, fueled by adrenaline and fear, enticed my wolf to come forward to play. It was her favorite song. Before Enyo could push through my barriers, the distant smell of sandalwood and vanilla briefly took her attention.

"Nyx! Please, let go of Ms. Cassia," Diona pleaded groggily as she hastily got up from bed, the wolf gasped and whimpered in my hand.

A low growl rumbled through my chest as I gripped her neck tighter, causing her cheeks to flush and her eyes to water.

"Please, Nyx," Diona begged as she cautiously approached me.

I looked over at her, my battling irises catching her off guard. The thundering sound of heavy footsteps climbing up the steps got louder as the pace quickened.

"Protecting her is more important," I thought as I looked at her wild curls and steady outstretched hand.

Enyo grumbled before agreeing. I dropped Cassia like the dead weight that she was. Her body thudded harshly on the ground. She gasped for air, her lungs burning in desperation, as I limped over to Diona, showing the worthless wolf my back.

"I wasn't going to kill her," I muttered as I grabbed Diona's hand.

"I don't think I believe that," she rebutted as she looked at Cassia over her shoulder with a sigh of relief.

"Smart kid," I said with a smirk as I brought her to the small table and offered her the seat closest to Nox.

"Diona...get...away...from that beast," Cassia struggled as she braced herself against the wall, her manicured nails digging into the surface.

"What beast?" she asked as she looked over at me.

I shrugged my shoulders as I took up my teacup again.

"That mutt just tried to kill me," Cassia argued.

"If I wanted you dead, you would be," I dismissed before sipping my lukewarm tea.

"What are you doing here, Ms. Cassia? No one is allowed on the Alpha's floor without permission." Diona asked, slightly confused.

Cassia struggled to regain her composure as she tried to stand tall.

"Yes, Cassia. Why are you in here?" the Alpha's booming voice interrupted before she could answer.

Cassia and Diona looked at their Alpha with shock and fear. Meanwhile, I carelessly looked out of the window. His overwhelming scent and presence were already making Enyo unsettled.

"I...I was looking for you, Alpha," Cassia answered in a sudden lust-filled tone.

His low growl shook the room.

"Do not lie to me," he quipped.

"Bu—but look at what that Rogue did to me! She hurt me," she whined as she pointed to her bloody, bruised neck.

"What were you doing in here, Cassia? I won't ask again," he asked in a cold, low tone.

"I—I thought you would've been back to the pack house by now. So, I came to your wing to find you, but I only found them," she explained with sadness dripping in her tone.

"Leave us. I will discuss this with you later. And go to the doctor to get your wounds looked at," he said with evident agitation.

She whimpered once more before leaving. I felt her heated gaze before she left the room completely.

"Diona," the Alpha called out.

I felt Diona's nervous energy as she barred her neck to her Alpha. I looked at her instantly and noticed how she fiddled with her fingers. Then, I looked over at the Demon Alpha to find him barely able to contain his wolf. He was dressed in only a ripped pair of dress pants, showing off his scar-covered skin. His massive hands were balled into tight fists, and his veins were prominently displayed along his arms.

"Leave us," he ordered in a finite tone.

She looked over at me with nervousness. I gave her a slight nod, and she hastily left the room. Before I could hear Diona's rushed footsteps thud against the stairs, I was pinned on the ground.