Chapter Twenty-One

The Alpha angrily marched along the dirt path that led to the pack house. Even the trees swayed out of his way. I casually strolled behind him, surrounded by armed warriors, their silver weapons twinkling in the moonlight. He barged into the pack house through the backdoor. The wood raddled on impact. As we walked, I further inspected the glimpses of the first floor through the warriors as we passed, the Alpha too angry to notice. He thudded up the stairs; his overwhelming aura forced the warriors to maintain their distance.

"Leave us," he sternly commanded as he grabbed my upper arm, dragging me down the corridor of his wing.

He roughly slammed me against the wall once out of sight, his growing nails digging into my shoulder.

"Disrespect me in front of the council again, and heads will roll. I will see to it that your blood will paint the floors," he spat as his eyes swirled with red.

I leaned forward, closing the small gap between us.

"Be careful, Alpha. Don't threaten me with a good time just to fall short. There's nothing more maddening than a tease," I said sultrily.

His pupils expanded as his nostrils flared, red slowly gaining control. Enyo slipped a small taste of our scent into the air, egging the wolf a tad more. He instinctively took a deep breath, his heartbeat picking up. He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked down at me, a cocktail of emotions swirling in his eyes. A bit more of my scent danced in the air, calling to his mate bond as I gently placed my hand on his, releasing his tight grip on my shoulder. He set his jaw as the bond between us set sparks aflame on our touching skin. I watched as his Adam's apple bobbled as he swallowed hard, the unwanted feelings eating away at his resolve. As quick as a viper bites, I twisted his arm and jabbed my elbow into his nose, blood flowing freely. I kicked his legs out from under him before walking away, his body shaking the ground beneath my feet. I sauntered away before he could retaliate, stopping in front of my door.

"Don't fucking touch me. I'm not your bitch," I said before entering the room, his roar shaking the chandeliers.

Rhea wrapped my wrists tightly as I sat on the bed, a bit on edge from the little exposure to silver. She joined me shortly after the Alpha forcibly shifted into his wolf form, rage overpowering his human mind. As soon as I heard his bones breaking in the silent night air, I barricaded the room's door. I may be a crazed wolf, but I am not dumb. He fought to break the door down for an hour, forgetting that he had his warriors reinforce the barrier in preparation for my transfer, before running off to spend his aggression elsewhere. Rhea arrived a half hour after he left, with Diona in tow, despite her mother's warnings. They both looked at the door with shock and horror before I casually dismissed their worries.

"How was the council meeting?" Diona asked as she plopped down next to me, full of curiosity.

"Boring and a waste of time," I dismissed as Rhea finished.

"I'm glad that only your wrists needed attention. I was anticipating much worse," Rhea said as she patted my shoulder.

"Contrary to popular belief, I do know when to pick a battle," I said as I rolled my eyes.

"What did they say, Nyx? Were they mean? Did they threaten you?" Diona asked as she fiddled with her fingers.

I looked down at her hand and back up to her face.

"The council asked me the same questions that your Alpha and Beta have. It would've saved me time if they would've left me out of it and talked amongst themselves. I rather watch the white walls of the fucking hospital than listen to those old bastards," I answered.

"Language," Rhea softly corrected.

I stared at her with boredom as she packed her medical bag.

"To answer your other questions, I would describe your Elders as annoying pests that tried to threaten me but fell short. I was expecting more, quite frankly," I explained as I laid back on my elbows.