Chapter Twenty-Four

I lounged in the tub filled to the brim with hot, soapy water. My wet, onyx curls stuck to my neck and back as I raised my head out of the water. Enyo lay on her side in contentment as my achy muscles relaxed in the inviting temperature. The slow dripping sound of the leaky pipe and the distant beeping of Nox's monitor added texture to the otherwise silent night air. Diona and Orion left after an hour of sibling banter and mock fighting, reminding me of my bond with Nox. Once they left, I worked out until my muscles screamed for a reprieve, desperately trying to keep myself busy to keep from fulfilling my dark desires. The water splashed against the tub's edge, threatening to run over as I moved around. Enyo's ears perked up suddenly as a slow burn crept down my body. I looked down at the water in confusion as a growing burning pain stabbed at the left side of my neck. My heart started to race as my insides twisted. Enyo's long, somber howl filled my mind as a sudden rush of blinding, searing agony numbed my senses, knocking me breathless. Enyo whimpered as my arms and neck felt licked by fire, more unbearable than the first time. I grabbed the side of the tub, attempting to steady myself, my knuckles white.

"Mate," Enyo whimpered as she tossed and turned in misery.

Another overwhelming surge of pain knocked me back into the water, my head slipping under as I fought for consciousness. The mate bond twisted around my heart like a vengeful python, squeezing the strong, pulsing organ as if it was made of nothing. I gasped for air as I broke the water's surface, my lungs begging for help. Coughs shook my body as fiery handprints traveled up and down my torso, leaving a wake of agony behind each move. I shakily climbed out of the tub, water pouring on the floor like a waterfall. My wet skin slapped against the soaked ground as I fell out of the tub. My body felt like it was consumed in unforgivable flames, licking at my skin like it was fuel. A painful memory danced along the edges of my mind. Enyo's whimpers and grunts threatened to shatter my resolve as she struggled to handle it. Unfiltered rage took over my mind as my body cried out for a break. I set my jaw as I tried to sit up, my arms trembling from the effort. A ferocious roar shook the ground underneath me as my anger soared, loud enough for anyone miles away to hear. A clear warning to everyone. As quick as it came, it went in an instant. I gasped for air as my body tried to recover. I struggled to my feet and staggered into my room, stumbling to my bed. Before I could make it, my legs gave out as the pain returned tenfold. The fiery, invisible hands cut through the nerves in my back far worse than the whip ever could. My fingers trembled as I crawled toward the bed, leaving a water trail behind. I heard footsteps approaching as I clambered into the bed, covering myself with the heavy duvet. The Beta thrust the door open with a mischievous smirk, expecting to see me crumbled on the floor. Instead, I lazily looked at him over my shoulder, masking any pain I felt. His face dropped.

"What?" I asked him in annoyance.

He looked around the room, everything was in place outside of the wet floor.

"Why the fuck is there water everywhere?" he asked, confused.

"I took a bath and didn't bother to dry off," I said as I snuggled into the duvet as my mate bond liquified my insides.

"And all the noise?" he asked as he leaned against the door frame in agitation.

"Bad dream," I dismissed, rolling my eyes.

"So, it has nothing to do with the Alpha fucking his potential mate? She's quite the beauty," he asked in a provoking tone.

"As long as it's not me, I couldn't care less," I quipped as Enyo howled, full of raging emotions.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I would much rather be trapped in an inescapable nightmare than to continue talking to you.... or maybe that's one and the same," I added thoughtfully.