Chapter Forty-Four

"I will answer what I can," I said as I leaned against the headboard, my arms folded in my lap.

"Did you know those wolves who attacked my men?" he asked as he watched me closely, looking for the slightest tell that I was lying.

"I have never seen them before in my life."

"I'm having a hard time believing that, Rogue. You seem to know more about my pack's enemies than you let on. You've cut down two Rogues within the territory, sensing them well before I could. You bathed the Delta in your scent and gave him your wolf's name in anticipation for awaited them in the Rogue's territory. How could you know to do that if there is no connection?"

"If you took more time to analyze the situation yourself before charging in blindly, you would've known as well. I have been trapped in these walls for weeks. I've had more than enough time to examine the position you've gotten yourself in, Alpha."

"The position that I've gotten myself in?"

"The wolves taught within the safety of their pack borders are truly ignorant to the world that surrounds them. You think the term Rogue is all-encompassing. A term for any wolf ostracized from their packs for supposed grave crimes. Their patchy fur, bright yellow eyes, and erratic behavior are what keep pups up at night. But what about me, Alpha? My wolf is healthy. Look into my eyes. Do you see the hint of yellow? Does it make sense to group me with those wolves? Or does it not matter to you because I have no pack ties?" I ask as I lean forward.

He looked deeply into my eyes, searching for my hidden secrets.

"You've seen glimpses of what I am capable of within my constrictions. Though not every wolf has my attributes, would it not make sense that there are more Rogues out there with clear motives and overlooked strengths? People tend to overlook what they consider beneath them, which is exactly why they are at your door now," I added.

The Alpha was silent as he maintained eye contact. I could see a glimpse of his wolf also taking in the sight of me. There was a slight rumble in his chest before he abruptly looked away with a cough.

"Are they trying to take over my pack? They took down some of my most elite warriors without caring for the Rogues they lost. We had not anticipated their strength or complete disregard for their comrades," he asked as he shifted in the chair.

"Who said they didn't care about their comrades? Your perception is not their reality. Those wolves sacrificed their lives for their cause, just or not. As for their cause, I can only speculate that you killed someone you weren't supposed to. Hence, their coordinated attack."

"Someone I wasn't supposed to?" he asked with shock and disgust.

"I'm not the only Rogue with people that they care about, Alpha," I casually said with a shrug.

"I thought you only had a brother?" the Alpha asked after a brief pause.

"You hardly know the first thing about me," I retort with an eye roll.

"But you are not here to talk about my favorite color or to find out our names. There is a war coming, Alpha. They'll be here in six days, and you are not prepared," I added grimly.

"How do you know that for certain?" he asked, resting his elbows on his knees.

"I asked," I said with a shrug.

"You...asked?" he doubted with a raised eyebrow.

"He may or may not have been on his deathbed, but he answered my question nonetheless."

I could've sworn I saw the glint of amusement in the Alpha's eyes, but it was gone within seconds. Weird.

"Do you trust his words?"

"Not in the slightest. I believe they planned to attack sooner, but the loss they sustained will push their timeline back. I don't know when it will happen," I said thoughtfully.

The Alpha was quiet for a moment, thinking of his next moves. He ran his large hands through his hair as he sighed.

"Let's make a deal, Alpha," I tempted with a smirk.

He looked over at me suspiciously. I threw the comforter off and slowly got out of bed. The Alpha's shirt swallowed my frame, stopping mid-thigh. His darkening eyes slowly drank in my appearance, appreciating the sight of me in his clothes.

"When the war comes, I will help take care of those wolves. You know that I am more than capable of turning the tide of the battle," I tempted as I slowly walked towards him.

"And what do you want in return?" he asked in a low tone, his eyes watching my every move.

"Freedom for myself and those who belong to me," I replied, glancing over at Nox.

"The council wants your head," he retorted as his eyes drifted to my exposed legs.

I hummed lowly, stopping a few inches in front of him.

"And here I thought that you were the Alpha," I whispered.

He growled lowly as his hands held the arms of the chair, his knuckles white.

"If you help us win, I'll give you what you want. However, if we have to retreat, your blood will coat my claws," he promised begrudgingly.

"Now that that's settled, let's go and visit that mortuary that holds your beloved council," I said before walking past him to the bathroom, brushing his leg slightly.

 "Whatever I've just disclosed with you stays within this room," I said, pausing in the bathroom threshold.

"Why?" he asked in an almost guttural voice.

"I don't trust your council. Wouldn't want them to take advantage of this war to overthrow you, now would we, Cain?"

He grumbled as his amber irises almost turned black as a shudder traveled his spine.

"Oh...and next time? Put my own shirt on me," I said with a smirk as I removed the shirt and tossed it back at him, swiftly locking the door as I closed it.

A deep growl shook the room as I rested my body against the door.

"Guess that mate bond is still good for something after all."

Author's Note: How's everyone enjoying the story so far? How do you feel about the MCs?  Thanks for reading!