Chapter Thirty-Nine

One minute stretched impossibly long as Timon weighed out his options. I leaned on the nearby tree, awaiting his decision. Slowly, I unsheathed my blade, watching the silver sparkle in the light. The Rogue took a big gulp before his eyes blurred. Suddenly, the thunderous sounds of marching lead away from the nearby surroundings. I smirked. The wolf slowly got to his feet, and I cleared my throat.

"I didn't say that you could leave," I warned as my eyes narrowed.

"Pl—" he began.

"Did you smell my scent on him before you decided to strike?" I asked casually.

Silence.

"I don't like to repeat myself."

"I did," he muttered after another pause.

I nodded.

"So why did you think I would even entertain the thought of letting you leave?" I asked as I stepped away from the tree.

His shoulders slumped as fear flooded his eyes.

"You knew the consequences. Everyone in this forest knows the consequences of touching what is mine. You are not above punishment," I stressed as anger coated my tone.

"How long?" I asked.

His brows furrowed.

"How long until they come?"

He shook his head, unwilling to answer.

"Who are you more afraid of? Your wolves have not made it out of my reach. Refuse to answer me again, and they will all die knowing that you led them to their deaths. I will not be swift," I threatened as I slowly approached him.

"Please, forgive me," he muttered as he began to back away from me.

I felt Enyo's aura as her stormy grey circled my hazel irises. The wolf subtly trembled in terror.

"How long?" I grounded out as my teeth clenched as I tried to hold back my impulses.

"Six days," he said in a shaky voice.

Before he could blink, I closed the distance between us. A sinister smirk grew on my face as Enyo moved with me.

"You were never going to be able to save them. The moment you touched a hair on his head, your lives were mine to take. All of your wolves will die before they make it back home. Wait on them in the underworld. They will join you shortly," I whispered into his ear as Enyo strengthened my nails.

A gush of air. Bones snapping. A squelching sound of liquid. Splashing on the hard ground. That was all to be heard before his body dropped to the forest floor. His eyes were lifeless. His heart thumped its last beat as it rested between my half-transformed, bloody claws. I looked down at the hole in his chest with a grimace.

"Thank you for your honesty," I said as I carelessly dropped the dead organ on the ground.

I muted my scent as I walked over to Orion, noticing that he had transformed without drawing my attention. I checked his pulse as I watched his chest rattle with effort. His eyes were closed, and his eyebrows were furrowed in pain. He would make it, but I needed to act quickly. My gaze wandered over to Nikias' unmoving form. I weighed out my options before begrudgingly walking over to him. I check his pulse as well. It was weak but still there. I looked between the two men as I got to my feet, formulating a plan. A low growl came from behind me as a twig snapped. I glanced over my shoulder as the chocolate-brown shewolf stalked towards me with a subtle limp. I rolled my eyes.

"If you are done with the dramatics, you could instead use that annoying energy to save your friends and Delta," I dismissed before returning to the men.