Chapter Thirty-Eight

-Orion's POV-

My legs trembled with effort as I pushed back the massive, sandy-brown wolf that threatened to drain the life out of Nikias, who lay unconscious behind me. This expedition turned sour quicker than we could recover. They slaughtered my men like they were annoying pests buzzing around them. I tried to protect as many as I could, but the Rogues poured around us endlessly with the sole purpose of painting the forest with our blood. I failed them. I led them to their deaths. I didn't listen to her when she warned me, overly confident in our abilities. I was blinded by arrogance, but the patchy brown wolf fighting against my every move was making sure that I understood that I truly didn't know these Rogues as best as I thought I did. They were unlike the crazed ones that fought without thought or real strength. They were yellow-eyed, blood-lusted savages with well-organized battle strategies and impressive defensive maneuvers. They attacked us as a solid team, filling in the areas of their counterparts' weaknesses. They didn't hesitate when their comrades fell. Instead, they pushed even harder to avenge them. I had never seen this before during my expeditions. I had never met a Rogue like her either, for that matter. Nyx was intelligent, knowing more than she let on. She knew exactly what awaited us, and I wouldn't be surprised if she knew who it was that did this. Once the Rogues smelled her scent on me, they avoided getting near me like I was the plague. Their demeanor was skittish as they looked around, assuming they were looking for her in the shadows. Once I eliminated more than half of the wolves that surrounded my team, and she never arrived, they began to fight me head-on. With each blow they landed without immediate consequence, the more they were encouraged to pursue killing me. Their backups came and overpowered us quickly. I had no choice but to call for 'Enyo,' hoping to save the men I had left. But knowing how far away we were from the pack, I had no hope that she would make it in time. Our efforts were in vain.

The Rogue landed a devasting slash against my hind leg, cutting through tendons and throwing off my balance. I tried to push further past our limits, but my wolf Hecius had already sustained major injuries that slowed our healing. The Rogue pounced and punctured my left lung before knocking me to the ground. We rolled with the wolf, landing a few impressive strikes before the Rogue started to gain the upper hand. We wouldn't last much longer. I used the last bit of my strength to kick the wolf to the side with my uninjured legs, scrapping my claws against its underside as it fell. I tried to get up, but my legs whined in protest, having taken too much damage. I watched as the Rogue recovered and began to stalk towards me, spit dripping from the sides of its mouth, tasting victory. Defeat closed around my heart as my lungs fluttered in pain. I let them down. I'm undeserving of my title. Before the mutt could pounce, a terrifying roar came from behind me, stopping the Rogue in its path. A look of pure terror washed over its face as it slowly backed away from me, looking around in the trees.

"She's here," Hecius muttered in pain.

--

-Nyx's POV-

Enyo watched as the Rogue slowly backed away from Orion, looking for us. The moment he touched the Delta, his fate was sealed, and he knew it. I looked at Nikias, lying behind Orion, naked and unconscious. He had a large wound on the right side of his torso, blood pooling on the ground beneath him. Orion was fighting to stay awake as his breathing rattled in his chest. His wolf was covered in blood, both his own and from others. Enyo's blood lust peaked as she watched the Delta struggle for air. She let her scent cover the area, leaving the Rogue on edge. Another growl rattled her chest as she slowly walked out of the shadows behind the wolf. It turned around quickly, startled. She circled the wolf as she made her way toward Orion, her rage rising with each step. She sniffed Orion's wolf and nudged him to lay his head down. She would take over from here. Enyo watched the wolf over Orion's body. Its anxiety could be felt miles away. She bared her canines as she stepped over Orion's body, ready to kill. As she closed in, the wolf bared its neck in submission. That wouldn't quench her thirst. He ignored her warning, and now he would pay with his life. She charged at him, landing a warning slash against the length of his right side. He whimpered as his fur became dark with blood. Enyo lowered into her fighting stance as she watched the wolf turn to her, still with its head dropped into submission.

"He will not fight us. He knows the price of his defiance. He will let you drain him of life for retribution for his team," I explained to Enyo, hoping to break through her blood lust and rage.

"There is no retribution for this," she growled with malice.

"Shift. Let me get answers before you snap his neck," I urged as I watched the Rogue look at us with fearful eyes.

"The most honest man is the one on his deathbed," I added.

Enyo cursed with vibrant energy before shifting. The hot, thick air coated my naked body like a second skin as the tension rose. The wolf was petrified as he took in my new appearance, unsure of what awaited him. Orion tried to rise to his feet, confusion and concern swirling in his irises.

"Stay still, Delta. This no longer concerns you," I dismissed as I removed the sheathed knife from my leg.

"Shift!" I commanded with an assertive tone as I stared down the Rogue.

The sounds of bones breaking were almost instant. Before me stood an average man, eyes still pools of yellow, with unimpressive attributes. His sandy hair was matted and brittle. The Rogue's body was covered with scars and wounds, telling the story of his hard life. He lowered his head in submission, but the lack of the stench of madness that should pour from him told me more than enough.

"Your name?" I asked.

"Timon," he answered in a low tone.

"Well, Timon, you have two options. You can tell the rest of your wolves to retreat with the hope that they will indeed return home in one piece. Or, they can continue to stalk these trees around me and see if they will get lucky enough to have a quick death. But with how my wolf is feeling, their families will not have more than an ear to bury," I said darkly.

The wolf's eyes widened with shock.

"I felt those wolves as soon as I stepped into the tree line. I know where each of them stands, hoping to kill me. I know how long they followed me, throwing together this half-ass plan to ambush me. They will retreat within the next two minutes, or I will make them disappear...forcefully," I threatened.