Chapter Ten

Doctor Iaso brought me a small breakfast the following day, eating together again as we had idle small talk. She gifted me a few sets of her daughters' old clothes to change into, finally clearing me for a regular shower. I took a long, hot shower in the attached bathroom, closing my eyes in the relaxing spray as the doctor tended to Nox. I donned a flowing, burnt orange blouse with a high-waisted pair of navy wide-leg trousers. My curls were damp as they laid against my back, freshly detangled. The doctor departed as soon as I was done. I walked over to the window, desperately needing a break from the drab scenery.

The trees danced in the wind as a few pack members walked around, each moving with a purpose. Below the window, two guards stood just in front of the roses. As if I would leave without Nox. The window was sealed shut, so I couldn't let in the fresh air I had missed. I was slowly becoming stir-crazy. As the sun danced along my skin, welcoming me as it always did, I began to feel like I was being watched. Enyo got to her feet as her ears twitched, slowly stalking forward. I looked around in the trees that consumed my view and focused on anything that stood out. Guards occasionally looked up as they passed, grimacing, while the other pack members ignored me altogether. My eyes darted to each tree and the darkness that hid in its shadows—still nothing. Enyo came forward as she focused my eyes even further.

I saw glimpses of bushy squirrels running about, the flapping wings of birds, and the holes left behind from digging chipmunks. A bush rustled to my left, almost out of sight. A glimpse of cadmium yellow was all that I could see before the door behind me thudded open, taking my attention. Notes of vanilla and leather entered the room as the Alpha stood in the threshold. He wore a button-down white shirt with a burgundy tie hanging around his neck and tailored black pants. His curls were smoothed back, leaving his chiseled, rugged face on display. I walked towards Nox's bed, ready to guard against any attack. The Alpha growled in response. Enyo's ears moved around as she heard movement underneath the Alpha's noise.

"You need to search your pack grounds," I said as I turned my head to the right, hearing the sound retreating.

"Mind your place," he spat as he looked me up and down.

I rolled my eyes and sat on the bed, adjusting the blanket over Nox. He watched my hands with agitation as they tucked the blanket around Nox's body.

"What do you want?" I asked as I looked over at him as he closed the door behind him.

"Must I remind you that you are in my pack? It would be to your benefit to remember that," he said with annoyance.

"The doctor told me of your recovery, and I came to see it for myself," he added as he adjusted his cuffs, slowly walking further into the room.

"Despite your best attempts, yes, I am alive and well," I quipped.

"If I wanted you dead, you would be," he retorted darkly.

The rustling and uneven footsteps continued further away, pulling my attention from whatever he said. Not that I am complaining.

"Where is the doctor?" I asked as I tuned back in.

"Answer my question!" he demanded in a thundering tone.

"Will you just shut the fuck up for a moment? Where is the doctor?" I urged as I stood to my feet.

He growled menacingly, and I responded with one of my own.

"Where?" I asked again.

His chest rumbled as his eyes glossed over for a second before he refocused.

"She's about to leave," he said.

"She can't," I muttered as I quickly pressed the call button on the bed.

"What is wrong? Why can't she leave?" he asked, confused.

"Since you refuse to do your job, I have to do something," I answered as I glanced back out the window.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" he asked as I pushed the button again.

"Send your patrols into your woods," I ordered as I heard rushing steps.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because if you stopped fucking growling, you would be able to hear someone traipsing through your forest," I answered angrily.

There was a knock before the doctor rushed in.

"What's wrong?" she asked, out of breath as she looked from Nox to me.

"You can't leave right now," I answered as I folded my arms.

"Why?"

"It's not safe."

"Nonsense. There is nothing concerning out there," the Alpha dismissed immediately.

"Rhea. It is not safe," I urged.

She looked from me to the Alpha and back to me.

"Diona will be looking for me. She should be home from school," she told me.

"Take two guards with you and change your clothes. You have a slight scent of blood," I demanded.

She nodded as she wrung her hands together.

"Who are you to give her my warriors, mutt?" the Alpha interjected with annoyance.

"Thought you said that you couldn't afford another chief of medicine?" I asked with a smirk.

"You b—" he started with fury.

"Alpha, please. I have to find Diona," she interjected with pleading eyes.

He set his jaw as he looked me over, fuming.

"There should be two guards downstairs. Take them with you if you believe this nonsense," he said.

She thanked him before rushing out of the room. He leaned against the nearby counter; his bulging arms crossed over his broad chest. I rolled my eyes and watched the trees sway in the soft wind as the Alpha's fury heated the otherwise cold room. Finally, after a moment of tense silence, he cleared his throat.

"What have you decided to do with us?" I asked, looking at the doctor rush home with her guards.

"This pack is known for dismembering any trespassers, no matter their ties," he answered grimly.

"I will take half of your pack with me," I said casually.

He grumbled in response.

"Given our...bond, the elder council of Night Fang has to rule on you and your brother's fate for fear of biased ruling," he explained.

I looked over my shoulder at him as he continued.

"The votes were divided. This pack nor will I stand for a Rogue Luna. But the damage of killing or rejecting an Alpha's mate could greatly weaken any wolf, making me less of an Alpha wolf," he added.

I hummed as I took in everything presented to me.

"So, what was the proposed suggestion, dear Alpha?" I asked with annoyance.

He looked at me as his irises began to tinge with red.

"You and your brother will remain in the custody of this pack until I mate with a suitable Luna that will give me more strength than a mate bond with a Rogue could ever give. I will never sully my bloodline for a Goddess-given mate because clearly, she chose wrong."

Enyo roared in anguish in my mind as she fought to take over. He insulted us and our upbringing for the sake of his title and precious pack. Never have we been insulted so severely. I turned around fully as my irises blazed in unbridled rage.

"Under the eyes of the Goddess Selene and the Gods, old and new, I—" I began the rejection as my soul began to burn from the flames of the unforgivable action.