Chapter Sixty-Four

Solace. One word. Six letters. Two syllables. Something that's highly sought after but hard to come by. While I floated in my subconsciousness, caressed in the silky security gifted by one of my most treasured dreams, I felt solace despite the reality that awaited me beyond the thin veil of anesthesia. I remembered how low I felt when I fought with myself on the edge of the world. I thought that my only way to find solace was to embrace the cold, dark grips of death until it brought me to my brilliant mother. The only person who always seemed to know the right answers when I was lost for words. And I did find her, but not in the way I thought I would. The Moon Goddess had granted me a few stolen moments with my mother, and for that, I would be forever devoted. But like all good things, my time in solace, dancing in the sun, must also come to an end. A distant monitor echoed throughout the comforts of my mind, ripping me from my cocoon.

Warmth kissed my face as the sun welcomed me into a new day. I groaned as the incessant blaring from an unknown hospital machine rang in my sensitive ears. I slowly opened my eyes, giving myself time to adjust to my environment. Nox was still asleep, and I was still on my stomach. My breathing was shallow from the tightness of the wrap that squeezed my lungs, just as I instructed. Enyo stretched and yawned in my mind, languidly coming to, also wanting more time in her light. I carefully looked around the room to find it empty, surprising me as I slowly gained awareness. A subtle hint of juniper and blackberries danced in the room from a slightly cracked window beside Nox's bed, piquing my interest.

"Where is every—?" I began to wonder before another round of alarms sounded off, effectively interrupting my train of thought.

I closed my eyes and focused my mind, slowly feeling out this restricted level. There were at least two people scrambling around a few rooms over, where I assume the wretched noise originated from. Other than them, the area was barren, with nothing more than dust roaming the halls. I heard a voice I recognized issuing instructions to someone else as they tended to their patient. I yawned, finding nothing of importance, and softly closed my eyes, longing to be whisked away to my dreams once again. But before I could doze off, I heard two pairs of feet and a set of squeaky wheels heading my way. I sighed before nestling further into the pillow, wishing they passed my room completely. But, of course, my luck was never that good.

The wind from the heavy door swinging open fluttered the edge of the white blanket draped over my feet, alerting me of their unfortunate arrival. I feigned sleep in hopes they would leave quickly.

"What happened?" Orion hoarsely asked, unuse fresh in his tone.

"The council happened. She was whipped for her unauthorized involvement in your rescue. Apparently, saving the lives of numerous warriors, who were sent to their deaths on the council's orders, is not enough to be granted mercy for being a Rogue. The bastards," Rhea spiritedly answered, the venom lacing her tone evident.

"What?" Orion asked as his chair squeaked as he shuffled.

"She was sentenced to 25 lashings and a night in the cells. On the second day, I had to cause a scene in the Alpha's office for him to even consider intervening in the apparent misuse of power. From the way she looked when I found her, I was surprised to see her still breathing," Rhea continued.

"How could they justify this?! It's not right," Orion said, flabbergasted.

"You believe in doing what's right?" I softly asked, without moving.

I heard a soft gasp, and I slowly peeked one of my eyes opened. The pair was situated a few feet from the foot of my bed, regarding me with shock. Orion sat in an oversized wheelchair meant for an Alpha, dressed in a pastel green gown. He looked well-rested, with an air of vulnerability around him. Rhea stood behind his chair in her usual soft pink scrub set, hinting at her rotation in the children's wing.

"Well, do you?" I asked again.

"Of course I do. What kind of question is that?" Orion asked, befuddled.

I arched my eyebrow before looking at Rhea, trying to decide my approach.

"I know you just got your son back, Doc., but we need a minute," I requested as I glanced at the confused Delta.

"He's just woken up and needs to be monitored, Nyx. Diona should be back any minute with my head of staff to assist me with his examination. There's much to—" Rhea began to refuse.

"Mom, it's okay. I'm fine. If anything, with all that rest, I feel better than ever," Orion dismissed as he looked at her over his broad shoulder.

"Orion," Rhea said in a warning tone.

"This," Orion said as he looked at me again, "is important."

Rhea glanced between us, her eyes waring as she wrung her hands together.

"You have ten minutes and not a second more," she warned as she locked eyes with both of us.

I smirked at her lingering maternal threat as her son sat a bit straighter in his chair. I guess old habits die hard. She sighed, and with a shake of her head, she exited the room. The new, pristine white shoes that had become a staple amongst her outfit choices noisily marched to the end of the hall, disappearing into a far room. The environment in the sterile space shifted as the Doctor walked further away, the room growing colder with each step. Enyo shook out her fur as she got to her feet, suddenly interested in my conversation.

"Nyx?" Orion questioned, sensing the change.

Effortlessly, I readjusted in bed to a sitting position, my spine popping as it twisted. What used to be a roaring inferno of pain was snuffed out to a mere flickering flame, a nuisance. I relished my newfound mobility as I rolled my shoulders and stretched my toes.

"Let's talk about High Moon," I said as I cocked my head to the side in curiosity.

Author's note: Forgive me for the delay. Terrible weather delayed my flight home, throwing off my editing schedule.