38.

dewy hiccuped, "-AND THEN, we ran. RIGHT MARTHA?? we just fucking ran...." we were both absolutely pissing ourselves with laughter as i nodded along, amused by this memory that didn't actually exist in my head. "we weren't allowed back to camp for three seasons! but god we became legends.."

we had found our way to the centre of the dance floor, many shots later, naively trying to even attempt conversation with the loudest music ever pounding in our ears.

"i was made for lovin' you" by kiss was a rock song i loved even back when rock wasn't my favourite genre. now that's a band i would love to see. i'm constantly chasing doc with questions about the band, as he'd managed them previously.

"MARTHA! MARTHA!!" dewy shouted above the crowd, and for a second i forgot that was my current alias in this setting. i looked at him and raised my eyebrows to signify i was listening. "what brings you to san francisco?! i remember you had dreams of moving to england, what happened!!"

my drunk ass brain struggled to come up with a lie quick enough. "oh, y'know, i grew up! things change!" i shouted back quite truthfully.

"are you out here by yourself?" sam asked as both his and dewy's expressions dropped to those of concern.

"fUCK NO!!" all three of us started wheeze laughing for no reason. "no, no i'm actually touring with a band at the moment!" the truth spilled from my lips. and i just didn't give a damn.

dewy took a massive swig of the drink is his plastic cup before his eyes widened. "sHIT MARTHA, YOU BECAME A GROUPIE?!"

i once again died at his reaction. "NO DEWY COME ON! NO!"

sam cut in. "which band?!"

i paused for a moment. "you won't have heard of them yet!! they're just starting out.."

"SPEAKING OF BANDS!" dewy pointed to the stage as i downed the rest of my drink. "LETS GO!!" he shouted as him, sam and me pushed our ways to the front, the band walking out on stage.

i didn't quite recognise them, but the crowd went fucking ape.

5 mop headed men set up their gear and i felt almost left out when i saw sam, dewy and everyone else in the room go insane over a band i didn't know.

"helloooo, all you neon-wearing beautiful bastards!!!" the lead singer shouted as they suddenly started to seem more familiar. "i think you might need a dash more of colour...let us help you out." the crowd screamed with excitement as crew and the band themselves whipped out...water guns?

turns out those motherfuckers were FULL of neon paint, and we were absolutely covered in it after the neon massacre they committed.

but i was pissed off my ass, so i was loving every second. it was euphoric, a sight to behold.

once the chaos had settled, and it was only alcohol flying around, not alcohol AND neon paint, i made eye contact with the lead guitarist. deja vú or what?

and then it hit me.

"we are bon jovi, this is our single, runaway." jon introduced their first song of the night.

richie smiled at me, a wide grin and i could tell he recognised me. he waved in a goofy manner as i waved back.

"yOU KNOW HIM?!" sam shouted.

"HELL YEAH!!" i shouted back as we jumped up and down to the music.

"MARTHA YOU BADASS!!" dewy threw his arm around me.

we danced, oh boy did we dance. i lost myself in the bands set, grateful to feel relief and escape. to be around anyone but mötley crüe right now was PURE BLISS...which happened to be the name of our next round of shots, which were iridescent and silver. god knows what was in them.

the music wasn't as intense as the crüe's, which i appreciated for a change.

richie kept coming over to where we were stood in the crowd, playing his guitar in our direction, then heading over to a girl on the opposite side of the front row. it wasn't hard to see they looked completely in love. this must have been his girlfriend. they looked at each other with pure adoration, he sang the song to her, and she sang it back. my heart swooned.

the band was incredible.

they were magnetic.

it made for a night i would never forget.

just not necessarily for the right reasons. it's kind of a shit show from here.