06

CHAPTER 6 — THE BROWN-EYED BROTHER

"HERE'S your water, Celeste."

I smiled at Manang Jessi and reached the glass of water she gave me. She's about to leave the dining room when I called her.

"Nakauwi na si Gail, Manang?" Since I arrived so late last night, I didn't know if Gail was here or she's still at Institute Center.

Gail's mother nodded. "Umuwi siya kagabi ah. Quarter to ten na sila nakauwi ni Ma'am Genevieve. Nasa loob ka na ng kwarto mo that time, kaya siguro hindi mo sila naabutan."

Oh. So, she's here when I went out last night? Akala ko iniwan siya ni mom doon sa Institute Center.

"But I ate dinner with mom, I think it was around nine."

"Umuwi si Ma'am dito, tapos bumalik ulit doon para sunduin si Gail. Pagod na pagod nga si Gail pagkarating e. Nakatulog agad."

I nodded at her and smiled. When she left, I looked at the wall clock. Nine twenty-seven.

When I woke up earlier, I saw a note on my side table. It was from Mom. The note said...

We're going to Institute Center at 10 am, honey. You're going with us.

—Mom

It was unexpected. Why would she want me to go with them?

Nine twenty-seven na, pero hanggang ngayon puro maids pa lang ang nakikita ko. Weren't they planning to eat breakfast first?

When I arrived last night, I thought Dwein would be in the living room, waiting for me. But that's just what I thought. Himalang hindi niya ako hinintay at kinompronta. Halata naman kung bakit niya ako tinawagan, sa malamang nalaman niya na umalis ako. Maybe, she got tired waiting for me? Dad left yesterday during lunch time, and until now he's still not here. That's a good thing for me.
No dad. No rule. Freedom.

"Oh, you're awake." And speaking of the bitch.

"Oh, you're still alive." I mocked her voice. Mukhang nainis siya sa sinabi ko kaya pabagsak niyang hinigit 'yong upuan.

"I told Tita you're gone last night." Dwein picked the knife and used it to point me. "You are going to hell."

I chuckled. "Hell is a nice place."

"Of course, it's nice for you. You're a fiend, remember? Fiends live in hell."

"Ganda ko, ano? Inggit na inggit ka e. Kulang na lang ipa-torture mo 'ko. Don't forget who's the Aragon here." I smiled and gave her a smug look, just to pissed her off.

Sa sobrang inis niya ay lumapit siya sa akin, dala pa rin 'yong kutsilyo. "You're too complacent and conceited! You thought everyone will treat you like you're a damn VIP!" Binaba niya ang kutsilyo sa lamesa at tinitigan ako. "You know, time will come, the surname you carry will be useless. And if ever na mangyari 'yon, saan ka na pupulutin? Sa talahiban? Dadating ang panahon, mauubos na ang pasensya ni Tito sa'yo. Tita will be tired talking and reaching to you. Sino na ang aasahan mo? Kuya mo? He'll never help you, spoiled brat! Baka nga patayin ka pa no'n kapag nabwiset siya sa'yo."