26

CHAPTER 26 — WELCOME TO EL SALAZAR

MORNINGS always give me the positive vibe

Whenever I woke up every morning to prepare for school, I always get excited about the things that will happen. That excitement will give me motivation to get up early and do my routine.

But this morning... it's different. I couldn't even smile or laugh. Maybe I was nervous? Or mixed of nervousness and excitement? I'm not sure. What I'm sure at is... my heart is throbbing fast.

This day is the day we're leaving America.

"Where are your other things?" Trent Cabrera asked me while we're standing outside the rest house.

I pointed at the baggages on the porch. There were two large luggages and one duffel bag on one side of the porch, while I was carrying a handbag. Lahat ng mga bag na ito ay nilalaman ang gamit ko... ang magiging gamit ni Fenella. The clothes and stuffs I brought here were left inside the rest house. Talagang iiwan na pala 'yong mga gamit na 'yon. Sayang! Ang dami pa man din noon!

He picked all of it and put it inside the car. Napalingon ako sa pinto ng bahay nang marinig ang pagsarado nito. Uncle Finn was standing in front of the door and locking it. I was just staring at his back when he turned around. He was also carrying a luggage. He beamed at me.

"You seemed not happy," he pointed out.

"You really can read my expressions well." Siya lang talaga ang laging nagpo-point out ng mga reaksyon ko.

He shrugged as his smile stayed. He walked towards me and patted my shoulder. "Jessica and Gail will take care of you. You don't need to worry."

"I'm not worried about the people I will be with. Plus, I can take care of myself." Umiwas ako ng tingin at napatitig sa kawalan. "I'm more worried about the life I will have."

Tumingin muli ako sa kanya at napagtantong nakatingin pa rin siya sa akin. His smile was still there. I winced at him. He's really a happy person.

"Why do you always smile?" I pointed out. "Alam mo, Uncle, 'yong ngiti mo parang nang-aasar."

By just saying that, he laughed so hard. Sa sobrang lakas ng tawa niya, nakikita ko na gilagid niya. He even shook his head while wiping his invisible tears. I couldn't help myself but to laugh as well. His reaction looked so ridiculous!

Napatingin siya sa akin at napatigil sa pagtawa, but the smile was still plastered on his face. Dahil doon, napatigil din ako sa pagtawa. "You love challenges, right?"

"I never said that."

"But that's what you show to people. So, just think of this as a challenge. And as far as I know, you never say no to a challenge. Right?"

The side of my lips slowly curved up. Right. I always accept challenges, so, what am I worrying? Plus, this is just a temporary set-up. This won't last.