33

CHAPTER 33 — FIRST SUMMER IN VALLE

THERE'S nothing more comfortable than laying your back on the soft cushion of your bed while listening to a music after a long and tiring day.

Manang Jessi just bought a new mattress and cushion for my bed, and it's way softer and more comfortable than the cushion this bed previously had! Dinner hasn't served yet, so while waiting for it, I'm just chilling here inside my room and swiping on the photos in my phone. During the fiesta last week, I didn't miss to take pictures of the well lit streets, the stalls, and even the people. And I can say, I can be a photographer! I just loved the thought of capturing every aesthetic scene around me.

Patuloy lang ako sa pag-swipe nang pag-swipe habang pinapanood 'yong mga kuha kong litrato. Natigilan lang ako nang makita ko 'yong mga litratong kuha ni Gio sa loob ng museum. He sent to me the pictures he took in his phone. Buti na lang pala nag-picture na siya kahit nasa may entrance pa lang siya.

The camera caught few people walking inside the museum. Some were alone and some with their loved ones. Nakuhaan pa ng litrato 'yong ibang mga display. There's a small sculpture of an animal I barely recognized. Beside that animal is a sculpture of a man's head.

That's a creepy one.

May nakuhaan ding ilang mga nakasabit na paintings. There are two abstract paintings hanging next to each other, about seven people were standing in front of it, obviously mesmerized. Mayro'n ding painting ng isang ang kalahating mukha ay robot. In that painting, about ten people were staring at it and taking pictures.

I am really amazed by artists who can easily paint humans and make it looks so realistic. It's one of my weaknesses when it comes to painting. I'm more-of-a-nature kind of painter. Masyadong marami kasing detalye and mukha ng isang tao kumpara sa kalikasan. At least, for me. And in painting humans, you need to consider factors like emotion, expression, the message it wants to convey, and of course how it would look like. Kailangan mo pang i-make sure na kamukhang-kamukha siya no'ng pinagbasehan mong mukha. In short, it's complicated.

In all of the paintings the camera caught hanging on the wall, there's only one that really caught my attention. It's a painting of a naked woman, only the breast and the private part between her legs are both blurred. The freckles on her face are visible. There's a long scar on her chest. The woman is neither sad nor happy. She just had a plain expression on her face. Palms are scattered around as if clamoring over her like they want to touch her but she seems to be in a transparent box, making it even impossible for them.

Kahit na gaano ka-meaningful 'yong painting na 'yon, ni isang tao walang nag-abalang bigyan siya ng pansin. Or maybe because the painter isn't famous, compared to the others. Look how popularity can do. I deleted most of the stolen pictures Gio took, except for that one where I can see the painting of the naked woman.

Speaking of painting, bigla kong naalalang ang tagal na pala simula noong makahawak ako ng canvas. The last time was when I was still in the mansion. I didn't have a chance to brought all of my painting materials. Naka-tsamba lang ako na magdala ng ilang maliliit na canvas, dalawang paintbrush, at ilang acrylic paint. I left most of the materials back home. Bigla ko tuloy naisipan na mag-paint ngayon. Pero bago ko pa man makuha 'yong mga materials, biglang kumatok si Gail sa pinto.

"Kakain na!" she said outside the room.

"Coming!" I get out of the bed and put my phone down the bedside table. Tutal gutom na ako at gabi naman na, bukas na lang ako magpipinta.

Just hoping that tomorrow won't rain.

And it really didn't.

Halos nine na ng umaga ako nagising kinabukasan. The sun was already up and there's no hint of rain coming. The sky was bright blue and there were only few light clouds scattered. Kumain lang ako at naligo bago nagpaalam na lalabas ng bahay. Carrying my backpack with me, I ride onto a taxi. Sa loob ng bag ko, nakalagay ang ilang painting materials. I really want to do what I've told myself yesterday. I just need some perfect place to paint.