36

CHAPTER 36 — HOME FOR GIFTED PEOPLE

“I’M leaving today.” I smiled at Gail. The convincing-someone type of smile. That smile you wear whenever you want to convince that person to let you go during weekends.

“Saan ka pupunta?” she asked. And that made me raise my brow. Seriously, Gail? I know you’re reading my mind, don’t pretend like you aren’t.

I just stared at her boringly, refusing to answer. Tumitig din siya pabalik sa akin, nag-iintay naman ng sagot. But I didn’t budge, I kept my mouth shut.

At the end, siya na ‘yong nagsalita. “Weekend ah. Wala kang gagawing schoolworks?” Her tone was firm, as if judging my whole existence.

I dramatically put my hand on my chest. “The heck, yes, it’s weekend! Weekend, meaning we all need a rest and have fun. I know, you’re worried about my grades and thinking that I’m not studying well, but Gail, I’m telling you, I will pass this semester.”

Dad probably told her to watch my behavior in school. As I thought she’s on my side! I heard her take a sigh. She looked like she’s contemplating a lot of things. It took her minute to speak again. “Buhay mo naman ‘yan, e ‘di go.”

My smile widened because I won over her again. She couldn’t be a strict parent. She’s too soft to be that type of parent. So, when the clock struck at ten in the morning, I left the house. Umalis si Manang para mag-grocery kanina. I was wearing my favorite cap since the heat from the sun was too harsh. I was only carrying my backpack with me on my way to the park. Arche and I agreed to meet there. Because this is the day he’s talking about, the day when he will show me the sanctuary.

Inquisitiveness was roving around my brain. The eagerness to know that sanctuary more was still hunting me. When I arrived at the park, Arche was already there. He had a canvas stand with him and, again, he was painting. He couldn’t just let go his painting materials for one day, huh. He looked like he’s already here earlier this morning. Maybe he spent his time here, painting, while waiting for our meet-up time. I walked towards him, not bothering calling his name or catching his attention. Mukhang hindi niya rin napapansin ang presensya ko. He’s too focused, as always.

“Hoy.” Sinundot ko siya sa tagiliran nang makalapit na ako sa kinatatayuan niya.

He jolted out of surprise and immediately turned his head. I tried to suppress my laughter.

“Nand’yan ka na pala. Tara na.” He started putting his painting materials inside his bag and when he finished, we left the park.

Sumakay kami ng taxi at siya ang nagsabi ng direksyon sa driver. It took us a couple of minutes before the establishments and houses on our both sides slowly lessened. Forests started to show up and I couldn’t help but gawk outside the window. Fat trees were slowly replaced by tall skinny ones. Staring at those trees made me think about autumn. Like the orange and red leaves scattered on the ground, or the ones from the trees that keep on falling as if raindrops. The scent of the fresh wind during an autumn morning. Unfortunately, we’re living in a tropical country. The autumn season doesn’t exist.

The vehicle stopped for few seconds in the middle of the intersection street before turning right. Few houses still surrounded the area, and trees still stood behind those houses. There were only few cars passing by. Tumigil lang ang sasakyan sa tapat ng isang gate. I pushed the taxi door and I was welcomed by the fresh wind. Patanghali na at dapat masakit sa balat yong araw pero hindi ko ramdam ‘yong init na ‘yon dito. Maybe because this is surrounded by trees.

Along with the gate are fences that surround a huge and old three-storey house. Mula sa kinatatayuan ko, kita ko ‘yong malawak nilang bakuran. It’s exactly how Arche described it to me. There's a signage beside the gate, and it stated 'Home for Gifted People'. So, this is really the sanctuary. When the taxi drove off, we were left standing in front of the gate. Silence had occurred for a minute. I turned around, just to find Arche looking at me. Nang magkatinginan kami, saka lang niya binuksan ang gate. Then he motioned me to follow him.