15

CHAPTER 15 — THEIR SUSPICION

I was just staring at the field here in our school, remembering everything Dad had said last night

I was just staring at the field here in our school, remembering everything Dad had said last night. My chin was leaning on my palm while my friends were in front of me talking and laughing.

Titira ako sa El Salazar kasama sina Manang Jessi at Gail para magtago pansamantala. Ang malala pa pagpapanggapin ako bilang Fenella Meneses... na kapatid ni Gail at anak ni Manang Jessi. How could they both end up agreeing? Could they handle calling me Fenella... a name owned by their family member who died years ago?!

So that's what Dad and Trent Cabrera talked about last time during lunch. 'Did you already tell... her?' When Trent asked my father that question, maybe he was referring to me.

Hugh Borja had the urge to investigate and prove that I'm not a normal person when Mr. Asuncion told him about what I did to that driver. I hate to admit that I was careless. Hindi ko na dapat siya kinulong sa ilusyon ko. Dapat pala sinumbong ko na lang siya. But then it already happened. I couldn't do anything about it now.

Kaya pala tinanong ni Dad kung kailan ang final exam namin. Para matingnan niya kung kailan kami aalis. He explained me what they want to happen. He said I need to go to U.S. with Uncle and live there for days. The U.S. thing is only an act to show that I am in America. But while I'm there, Trent Cabrera will bring me to Colombia, we will travel secretly. In Colombia, we will meet Manang Jessi and Gail and the three of us will travel back here. And the moment I arrive in this country... I'm not Celeste Aragon anymore but as Fenella Meneses.

Just me thinking and imagining what we're going to do already exhaust me.

Tinanong ko pa sa kanya kung bakit kailangan kong pumunta sa America bago pumunta sa Colombia at bumalik ulit ng Pilipinas. Iniisip ko pa na mukhang tanga lang, not until pinaliwanag ni Dad kung anong dahilan.

"What's the purpose of all of that? Pwede namang bumyahe na lang kami papuntang El Salazar," I asked after he told me about their plan. I was looking at him, my forehead creased in confusion.

"Borja and his people are watching you, just in case you didn't know." He raised a brow. "There's a possibility that they know and will know your travels in and out the Philippines. You cannot just go to El Salazar with your identification card stating that the owner's name is Fenella Meneses!" pagsusungit na naman niya.

I just looked at him, stopping myself to raise a brow because he still didn't answer my question. But then, he spoke again. Hindi pa pala siya tapos magsalita.

"You traveling in United States will make them realize that you'll leave the country and will stay in America. Kung susundan ka nila o aabangan ka nila, alam nilang nandoon ka. And then you will travel secretly from U.S. to Colombia to meet Jessica, once you arrive there you will start pretending as Fenella Meneses. All of the cards, papers, and identification card that you'll use will be named after Fenella," he explained, pointing the pen he's holding at me.