69

CHAPTER 69 THE BASEMENT

CHAPTER 69 — THE BASEMENT

(VALFER'S POINT OF VIEW)

KEEPING the letter in my hand, I left Celeste's apartment building. I went to the garden the girl was talking about. She said Celeste loved spending her leisure time there.

Sana nga nandoon lang siya. But as soon as I arrived, there was no Celeste to be seen. I stepped out of the garden with my forehead creased in confusion. Posible kayang naroon pa rin siya at tinitingnan 'yong bahay ni Danyl Soledad? Could she still be looking over his house and waiting for Danyl to enter? Maybe she's still watching him or observing his house?

I turned around and was about to start walking, when I saw Van standing few steps away from me. He looked like he was in the middle of a hurry but only stopped when he saw my presence. I was also frozen in place. We stared at each other, confused, surprised, and speechless by each other's presence.

He was the last person I wished to see here in the institution, and yet here we were.

"What are you doing here?" He was the first one to break the silence.

Hindi ko mabasa 'yong emosyon niya. There was no mockery, haughtiness, or playfulness lingering in his face. But this might be just one of his tactics. . . again.

"None of your business," I coldly responded. I continued walking and walked past him.

"You visited Celeste, didn't you?" pahabol niyang sabi. Hindi ako sumagot at nagpatuloy lang sa paglalakad papunta sa field.

"Valfer!" Tinawag niya ako nang hindi ko siya pansinin. I still refused to respond. I could hear his footsteps, seemed like he was following me. Inis akong tumigil sa paglalakad at muli siyang hinarap.

"Are you a damn leech?"

"I just want to talk to you."

"We have nothing to talk about," I firmly stated, before walking away.

"Danyl is planning something!" sambit niya na muling nagpatigil sa paglalakad ko. Danyl is planning something? With confused expression plastered across my face, I slowly turned to him.

"Hindi ko alam kung ano 'yong pinaplano niya pero malakas ang kutob kong mayroon," he added.

Bahagyang nakakunot ang noo ko. "Why are you telling this to me?"

"Because you have the right to know," he explained. "I know we're not in good terms. I already talked to your sister, I apologize to her."

"So, that would make me trust you? Just because you apologize?"

"Hindi ko sinasabing pagkatiwalaan mo ko."

"But you're here, telling me about how you sense that Danyl is planning something."