30

CHAPTER 30 — AMUSEMENT PARK

"ANO na namang ginawa mong kalokohan?"

Gail was leaning on the wall beside the window and I was sitting on the edge of my bed. We were both inside my room. We were just having a casual conversation a while ago, you know about IAR and the university inside that institution but Gail just changed the topic and asked that question.

And I already know what she meant by that.

"What?" tanong ko pabalik sa kanya, kunwari walang ka-alam-alam sa sinasabi niya.

"Ah talaga?" A hint of sarcasm was obvious on her voice. "Baka nakakalimutan mo, I can read your mind."

Napairap na lang ako. Fine, she cornered me right there. "Oh e bakit mo pa tinatanong kung anong kalokohan kong ginawa, alam mo naman na pala. Come on, Gail, it's just for fun. Plus, we didn't get caught, okay? You know, you always spoil the fun."

"Grabe ka, Fenella. Mapapahamak ka sa ginagawa mo."

"You're enjoying calling me by that name, aren't you?" I shook my head. She's really playing her role as my sister. And hearing her call me, for the second time, by that name felt so weird again.

"Baka isang araw, malaman ko na lang nasa kulungan ka na ha." She sounded like she's threatening me.

"Then get me out of the jail."

She stared at me, her lips parted. She looked so done with me. Then, she let out a deep sigh before walking towards the door. Maybe she's already tired of arguing. That made me smirk.

"Pupunta ako sa IAR mamaya. Gusto mo sumama?" She stopped on the doorway to ask that question.

IAR. That gifted institution. Why not?

"Sure." I nodded.

She then left me in my room. Matutuwa na sana ako dahil iniwanan na rin niya ako sa wakas, pero naurong din 'yong katuwaang 'yon nang pati pintuan ay iniwan niyang nakabukas. Um, excuse me? That door was originally closed! For her information, she opened that door and I let her stepped inside. And now, she's leaving it open? The audacity!

Napilitan akong tumayo at isinara ulit 'yon. I sat on my bed again and took a harsh sigh. Napatingin ako sa cellphone ko nang bigla itong tumunog. I picked it up and found out it was a text.

Oh, wow. Finally, receiving a text. It's been days since I received one. Galing pa kay Mom.

From: Mom
How was El Salazar, honey?

My lips remained in one line. It never curved up. My mood didn't lighten up as how I expected children will feel when they hear their parents say that. The feeling of warmth, happiness, and comfort. . . I couldn't feel any of it. Bakit? Bakit hindi ko maramdamang matuwa?

To: Mom
Everything's good.

She had the time to text me the first time I got here. But I received none. Pakiramdam ko talagang kinareer nilang lahat na i-turing ako bilang Fenella. My eyes went to the small box on the table beside the bed. I picked it up and opened it. This is where I hide the pictures that I found inside my cabinet back in the mansion. Gusto ko sanang ilagay sa maliit na frame pero naisipan kong huwag na. I'm not the type of person who put picture frames on their bedside table.