66

CHAPTER 66 - ALMOST KILLED

(VALFER'S POINT OF VIEW)

THE moment I opened my door and I stepped out of my room, I could hear the muffled voice of Dad, who seems to be scolding somebody. Curiosity rose inside me. Dumiretso ako sa may hagdan dahil sa baba nanggagaling 'yong boses niya.

"I am very clear with my instruction. Do not go outside because people might flock to you and bombard you with questions." He wasn't yelling but his voice was firm and assertive.

Go outside? Who went outside?

I was standing at the very top of the stairs, listening to their conversation, when I heard footsteps stopping behind me.

"Uh, sir, excuse me po."

I turned around and saw a maid, holding cleaning tools. Her lips were pursed and she was awkwardly looking at me. I quietly stepped aside and let her pass by. She went downstairs as quiet as possible, trying not to caught Dad's attention.

One thing that gave me discomfort in this house is how the maids, guards and our drivers looked at us. Ngayong kumalat na 'yong about kay Celeste, everyone including them knew about it. They never said anything about it. They just kept their mouths shut. However, there were moments I could feel them gossiping. Tuwing mapapadaan ako sa mga helpers, they would stop whispering and would awkwardly greet me, like they just gossiped about us.

"Look at what happened!" I heard Dad's voice once again. "As far as I know, I gave a very clear and simple instruction, Dwein."

My brows furrowed. Dwein? Dwein went outside? Did Celeste possess her?

"I'm sorry, Tito. It won't happen again."

"It really won't."

Tahimik akong bumaba sa hagdan nang marinig ang papalayong hakbang ni Dad. Even his footsteps were so familiar I could tell whether he was mad or not.

"Why did you even go out in the first place?" It's Uncle Finn's voice.

"I just visited Celeste. I thought it'd be okay to visit her," answered Dwein.

"We can visit her, but not now. Mainit ang mata ng mga tao sa atin. And looked what happened. If you wanted to talk to her or ask how she's doing, why not call her?"

"I'm sorry, Dad. It won't happen again. I promise."

Nang marinig ko ang mga yabag ng paa ni Uncle papalayo, saka lang ako nagdire-diretso ng pagbaba. Dwein was left standing in the living room, looking at Uncle who's now heading to the dining room. Her gaze turned towards me when I headed to her direction.

"You visited Celeste?"

She nodded. "I didn't know it would cause a small commotion."

My brows knitted in confusion. "What happened?"