45

CHAPTER 45 — THAT NIGHT

THE fire was glowing in front of me, swaying side by side every time the gentle wind touched it.

We're now all sitting around a bonfire. Nandito ulit kami sa lawn at nakaupo pabilog. Sa gitna ng bilog na na-form namin ay ang bonfire at si Professor Aidan na nakatayo kasama ang dalawang staff.

After giving the prize to the winner of the Ticktock Game, which is the Group Three, it's now time for the main event.

Exchange gift.

After all the sweats we earned from running, we deserve a good gift.

We had snacks with us. Sa kanan ko nakaupo si Vienne, samantalang nasa kabilang side ko naman si Arche. Kai was sitting on the other side of the circle, holding his gift. Everyone was already here.

Our exchange gift would go like this, one person has to stand in the middle while holding his gift. He has to describe the person he picks until someone makes a right guess on who is it. Doon pa lang niya maibibigay 'yong regalo. Tapos ang sunod naman na magbibigay ay yung binigyan niya. Gano'n lang ka-simple.

Professor Aidan was just standing and watching when the exchange of gifts had started. Evanna, a clairvoyant, stood up from her seat and went in the middle. She's holding a huge gift. It's almost as huge as her. Swerte naman ng nabunot nito.

"Ang laki ha," Vienne reacted. "Feeling ko human size stuff toy 'yan."

Nanlaki ang mata ko sa tuwa. "Hala, sana ako ang nabunot niya! I want a human size panda!"

"Uy, ako rin!" Vienne reacted the same.

Arche who was sitting on my other side gave us a sideway glance. Back to being tahimik na ulit siya.

"Hoy, ikaw." I elbowed his arm, making him completely face me. "What's your gift to me?"

Tumaas ang dalawa niyang kilay at tumitig sa akin. "Secret."

I made a face and rolled my eyes. "It's probably paint brush or spray paint or anything connected to painting. 'Di ba?" Lumabas ang isang mapang-asar na ngiti sa labi ko.

That's just my hunch.

Our attention went to Evanna who's currently describing the person she picked. "Babae siya."

Lumawak ang ngiti ko at nagkatinginan pa kami ni Vienne.

"Matagal na siyang nakatira sa sanctuary," she uttered next.

My smile faded. I heard Vienne giggled beside me. It's definitely not me.

"Mataray," Evanna added. We all made a gasp. That's a straightforward description. Wow.

"Pero okay kami nito," she continued. "Solid 'to kasama. Maingay nga lang, tapos maraming satsat sa buhay."

Biglang umingay 'yong side nina Kai, halatang kilala na nila kung sino 'yong pinatutukuyan ni Evanna. One of the guys there raised his hand. When Evanna pointed him, he stood up and spoke his guess.

"Wala namang ibang mataray rito kung hindi si Cara."

Lalong nagtawanan at nag-ingay 'yong side nila ng 'yon ang isagot niya. Cara was astounded to hear her name but at the same time, I could sense the irritation lingering inside her. Irritation for the guy upon saying ‘wala namang ibang mataray rito’. She shot the guy a glare and rolled her eyes. Patuloy lang sa tawanan ang mga kaibigan nila. Even Vienne and Arche laughed.

It turned out Evanna really picked Cara. Cara stood up, still rolling her eyes at the guy who made a guess. Her reaction changed when she accepted the gift from Evanna. Napangisi siya habang yakap-yakap ang regalo. After receiving her gift, it's her turn to describe who she picked.