28

CHAPTER 28 — SECOND DAY

I'VE never liked carrot soup

I'VE never liked carrot soup. I didn't hate it; I just didn't like its texture and how it tasted sweet.

But early this morning, just as I walked down the dining, Manang Jessi served it to me saying that I need to taste it.

I forced a smile as she handed the bowl to me. "Thank you."

Tumayo siya sa may harapan ko nang ilang segundo, mukhang gusto pa akong panoorin na tikman 'yon. So, I did. I held the spoon filled with soup and sipped on it. My eyes crinkled as I showed her the most fake smile I could ever give. But it immediately faded when she went back to the kitchen.

Uminom agad ako ng tubig, pilit inaalis ang lasa noon sa dila ko. Kasabay ng paglapag ko ng baso sa lamesa ay ang pagbaba ni Gail sa hagdan. She looked like she had been awake since one or two in the morning. Her eyes seemed to close any minute now and she's just trying to keep it open. The skin under her eyes also darkened.

"Mornings supposed to be an energetic part of the day," I raised brows on her.

Bahagyang kumunot ang noo niya habang naglalakad palapit. "At sinong may sabi?"

"Ako. And people supposed to look fresh in the morning... because, I mean, that's me all the time." I shrugged.

"I am not you," pagod niyang sabi sabay upo sa katapat kong upuan.

I picked a bread, ignoring the soup in front of me. I'll eat this carrot, okay? Just not now. My mouth is still not used to it.
"Anyway," I started, biting on the bread. "Where's that school named Cypress College?"

"University 'yon sa IAR. Bakit, gusto mong doon pumasok?" She rested her right elbow on the table, with her chin on her right palm.

"What the hell is IAR?"

"Institute for Advanced Research."

Napatango-tango ako sa bagong pangalang narinig ko. I guess, it's their version of Rioflorido's Parapsychology Institute Center. "Is it a good place? I'd met someone who was enrolled there and he said it's a nice school."

"Maraming courses silang ino-offer kaya siguro nasabi niyang maganda."

"Well, then you need to help me to enroll."

She bobbed her head, her eyes nearly closing. I doubted she really heard what I said. She probably just heard me talking gibberish. Palihim na lang akong umirap at pinagpatuloy ang pagkain. After eating and taking a bath, I went down on the living room and slumped on the not-so-comfy sofa. At least, I can bear the pain of my nape resting on the wooden and hard backrest. I opened the television and tried to entertain myself. I had this sudden urge to drive back in Enfanta. I don't know why I feel like I can do more things when I'm there than staying in this place.

Or maybe it's not because of the place, maybe it's because of me... being a gifted person.

I hate the thought of being not able to do things. The feeling of not getting what I want. The feeling of just sitting here, or probably walking outside, and just seeing people experience the things that I supposed to experience too. Unfair, I guess? And then realization hit me. I was once the person who got what she wanted – well not everything, but it satisfied me enough.