16. jasper

"You want to kiss me?" I balked slightly at the idea.

I DO NOT WANT TO KISS YOU

"Of course not," he seemed offended that I would even begin to take him seriously. "I was joking."

I CAN'T READ YOU

"Are you sure?" I frowned, "you're an egotistical narcissist so I thought tha-"

"Fuck off."

ok fine

"When did we swap bodies to begin with?" I muttered absentmindedly.

from the sound of it we didn't swap immediately after i fell

"I don't know," Levi sounded just as confused as I was, "you seemed fine when I left the ball, unconscious and soaked but you were fine."

i was alive?

"You checked that I was alive?" I frowned, mentally recounting the events of that night, "why?"

"You fell off a fucking balcony, if something happened I would be held accountable," he shrugged. "We didn't swap until later that night."

i didn't fall- i was pushed

i was confident that this had all started when i drowned

but if i never did- what happened?

"Were you awake when it happened?"

"No- I just woke up feeling like shit."

you probably deserve it

"So at some point between when you fell asleep and when we both woke up we swapped bodies."

i don't understand- there has to be some sort of inciting incident

"Are you sure you didn't poison me?"

NOW WHY WOULD I-

"I don't want to be in your body either."

i hate it- i can't reach anything

"There has to be some record of this happening somewhere," Levi changed the subject. "I am not going to start treating my body like a science experiment, I'm not that desperate to swap."

"My body."

I AM DESPERATE TO SWAP

"Where would you even start to find a record like that? A fairytale?" I laughed at the idea.

that being said-

"Got any better ideas?"

"No."

"Exactly."

"Stop acting so high and mighty- your idea is just as good as having no idea," I frowned. "Where are you even going to start to look for something like that? Everyone you talk to is going to think you're crazy."

"You said it yourself Y/N, I've never cared about your reputation before, why should I start to care about it now?" A look of regret? Guilt? Frustration? Flashed over his features as he spoke.

asshole

"If we never get back that's your fucking reputation."

so shove it

"We'll get back, I'm not staying in this body," he grumbled loudly, angrily pulling on the hem of his skirt.

"Rude," I frowned. "My body is just fine, it's yours that's the problem.

i haven't said anything about it yet but he really is short- i have to walk really fast to keep up with farlan

"Of course you wouldn't be able to appreciate it," he scoffed in response. "We're getting distracted, the important thing is trying to find our way back."

you're right

"If there's any record of what you're looking for it would be at my home."

our territory is like 70% magical forest after all

"The Ackerman library is second only to the imperial library."

....

"Ok so? You just have books about body swapping laying around?"

"We might."

"My father is probably our best bet-" my voice faltered, "but he isn't exactly in the position to have that conversation right now."

last i heard he was still sick in bed

when he does come to it isn't for very long

and the good thing to do would be to respect his situation and not bother him unless its an emergency

THIS FEELS LIKE AN EMERGENCY

BC IT IS

"We're headed to my estate anyway, I don't understand why you're being so dismissive, it's almost like you want to prolong this," Levi didn't make any moves to hide his obvious suspicion of me.

"If I really knew how to pull this off I would've switched with someone of a higher station, don't let this inflate your ego."

and i certainly wouldn't be swapping with a 5'3 man ...

i have common sense

i don't get anything out of this arrangement as is

"I don't trust you Y/N."

"I can tell."

"Good."

"For the record I don't trust you either."

not once have you even attempted to give me a reason to

"Then we're even."

"More like we both have common sense, it would be idiotic for this to happen and to not suspect the other for having some kind of involvement."

no use hiding my distrust- only the reason

"You have that going for you at the very least," Levi hummed in agreement. "I'm going to tell my mother what happened the minute we get back."

alright- why warn me?

"I don't really want to play house with your mom so I don't care," I shrugged, looking idly out the window at the passing countryside. "Just don't go telling random people, we still don't know how this happened, it's possible that someone did it intentionally."

if that's the case it's better to pretend that nothing happened, that way we can work on figuring out who did it and potentially get the jump on them

"I trust the majority of the people in my household- even so," he glanced at me, "you'll need to act more like me, people will be able to pick up on it."

the same can be said about my household

"Likewise, you'll have to pretend to be me when we go to my estate."

i've only ever acted one way in front of levi so-

"You'll have to-"

"I'll have to-"

"-listen to me."

"-teach you."

________________

hello hello! I'm currently in the airport about to leave for asia for the break visiting family. luckily I've prewritten enough of entangle to post chapters while I'm here but there may be delays or issues uploading due to wifi and timezone issues (i mean rn im publishing several hours early bc of my flight)

hope the holidays are going well for you

- ami