65. iolite

Hanji continued to question us for several hours until the tea and snacks we had brought were all gone and the sun had dipped somewhere below the horizon.

i'm tired

"You two look exhausted," Hanji laughed loudly, setting her notes down, "alright, go to bed- we can continue this in the morning."

ok...

"Where should we-" I glanced around the small room, my eyes landing on a door that I assumed led to a bedroom.

it doesn't seem like she has a guest room

"Oh, right," she nodded, "I suppose the two of you can take the bed, I'll be here for a while anyway- I need to organize my thoughts and begin thinking of a solution."

"The bed?" Levi questioned, glancing awkwardly at me.

what do you mean ???

"Don't be ungrateful Levi- a bed is a thousand times better than the floor."

"No you-" he began to protest, "whatever."

"Thank you for the bed Hanji," I stood up, dragging Levi with me.

WE NEED TO DEBRIEF ASAP

"You seriously aren't bothered by it?" Levi muttered the instant the door shut behind us.

why would i be...

"I don't know why you're making such a big deal about it- she's the one that offered. I don't think there's anything wrong with using her bed."

we aren't really in the position to be picky right now

"You don't get it do you?"

"What don't I get? It's a bed- I'm just happy to be sleeping on a mattress."

hanji's room is surprisingly bare-

safe to assume from the rest of the house that she doesn't get much sleep

i want to get inside her head for a day

"Alright fine, but don't lose your shit later when you realize."

"Realize what?"

"Nothing."

"You're so weird," I hummed, taking him in. "I suppose this is one of the last nights we'll be like this."

"You're right," Levi took a seat on the bed, "don't get cold feet."

"Oh please- I want to be out of this body asap," I sat next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder fully prepared to be shrugged off. "I'm going to slap you when I'm back in my body."

"I'd like to see you try," Levi scoffed.

ill try AND it'll hurt

"I'll get you when you least expect it- watch out."

"You won't have any lingering attachments to this body when you leave?"

"You raise a good point," I paused, "I'll give you a two second warning."

"You'll never do it."

"I will."

"What do you think of it?" He changed the subject, "dying and shit."

"Wow- so eloquent."

"You know what I mean."

"I won't lie it's surprising-"

but

"-but I don't think it changes anything- not significantly anyway."

i've been living for the past few months under the impression that i died when i drowned anyway

learning that i was killed in the woods a long time ago doesn't really change anything

if anything- the knowledge that my father broke every rule to bring me back

and that my friends kept their theories close to the chest in order to protect me

its slightly comforting

"And what do you think of her?"

"Hanji? She's a bit off putting but I like her," I glanced up at him, "why? Are you thinking about running off and living here forever? I won't tell-"

"Fuck no, I have a life."

"Wow- I find that hard to believe- you'll have to show me sometimes."

"Dear lord."

"I'm glad," I hesitated, looking down at my hands. "I think I would miss you if you decided to stay here for the rest of your life."

the hard truth

"Really?"

"Don't make me repeat myself."

it's embarrassing for both of us

"We could learn a lot from her."

i know what you're implying

"Does she even want to teach you? She seems pretty put off by us being here at all," I grumbled. "Don't pry into her secrets- I feel like I've only just got her to open up a little to us."

"I think she's put off by you if anything," Levi shrugged, "I doubt she gives a shit about me."

"Tell you what- in 60 years when we're both about to die we can come back here and beg her for immortality."

"As if."

"You're right- I'll probably hunt you down for sport before then."

"You just said that you would miss me," Levi chuckled.

"Whatever."

"You're sure you're fine?"

"Certain."

"Ok."

"Thank you for checking," I yawned loudly, laying back on the bed. "I'm going to go to sleep now."

"I'll leave then," Levi stood up, walking to the door.

"Why?"

"Do you lack eyes?"

"I'm looking at you with yours aren't I?"

"Then where the fuck am I supposed to sleep?"

"The bed?"

you're being WEIRD

"There's only one," he gestured around the room. "Unless you want to share, I'm going somewhere else."

OH MY GOD

"Wait-"

"What?" He stopped in his tracks, turning to stare at me.

"Just come back- where else are you going to sleep? We shouldn't bother her-"

"I'll sleep on the floor then-"

"Don't do that- it'll be uncomfortable and totally fuck over my back," I sat up in bed, "just-"

"Just?"

"One night isn't so bad- we can sleep in the same bed."

"What the fuck-"

"Oh come on- we've basically seen everything that needs to be seen about each other-"

"Fuck no-"

"Just think of it as sleeping next to yourself-"

oh come on-

"You're a little too eager-"

"I'm looking out for my body," I shook my head at him, "come on."

"Fine."

________________

small chance i wont update next week as its finals week and i have essays due! ilu all

- ami