64. silicate

"Any irritation?" Hanji was scribbling down notes as she spoke to us.

no i don't think so?

"Aside from the headache I get around him?" I teased Levi, "no- I feel fine."

its a bit of an adjustment getting used to his strength

"Is it normal to get cold in the forest?" Levi spoke up, frowning slightly.

"In certain parts- why?" Hanji continued to write.

i feel like she needs more company

"Earlier when we were looking for you something chased us," I explained. "Levi got cold all of the sudden- and I could hear something."

"It was fucking cold- and she could hear something screaming."

a person

"That's unusual," Hanji hummed.

we didn't see anything so- maybe it was a trick of the forest

"We didn't see anything-"

"Something was there," Levi cut me off, "you heard it and I fucking felt it."

"I'm sure that something was there but it didn't get us- so it's probably fine," I muttered, glancing over at Hanji who was still busy writing.

i don't want to make her feel like we're asking too much of her

i already feel like we're testing her patience

well i am- through my father at the very least

"It wasn't fine," Levi sighed, "if it happens again we could fucking die."

or we could not

"Sounds like someone is worried for you," Hanji chuckled, setting down her pen.

"For myself," Levi quickly corrected.

sure thing <3

"It's sweet but probably unneeded," Hanji looked over at us, "the forest has a way of holding on to its own."

what does that even mean

"The sounds of human screaming? A chill that seems to grow from inside?" She continued, "it's all because our Y/N was made by yours truly." Hanji gestured dramatically at herself.

im even more confused

"What do you-"

"You're only alive today because of this forest, it's natural that you're a little more sensitive to its inhabitants," Hanji rifled through her notes. "No need to worry- this grove is protected, you'll be fine."

THIS EXPLAINS NOTHING

"Oh," Levi nodded along.

HUH

YOU UNDERSTAND IT

time to pretend like i do to-

"So I could feel- whatever the fuck that was because I'm in her body," Levi muttered, "and she could hear it because she died here?"

"Exactly," Hanji pulled out a sheet of paper, "it would be more interesting if you could see them but I suppose that's to be expected, you weren't dead for very long."

"I'm sorry- just what are we talking about?"

"Ghosts- although it would be more accurate to call them echoes- they lack any freewill," Hanji handed me the sheet of paper, covered in notes. "Initially my area of study was just the human lifespan," she paused, "when my funding was cut off I came here, you'll have to understand that without willing subjects I was forced to experiment on myself."

ok.....

"Eventually I began to notice things, similar to what you've experienced," she stared down into her tea, "I believe that as one becomes more attuned to the forest, whether through experimentation or traumatic experience in your case- you are able to sense things."

"You could experience this without dying?" Levi chimed in, a little too interested for my tastes.

"Stop that Levi- I don't want you doing that- it was scary enough before," I reached for his arm.

"That's his choice," Hanji shrugged, "I could potentially help you with that," she nodded at him.

i will kill him before that happens

"It's not like you'll ever come back here," I frowned at Levi, "don't risk hurting yourself for something like that."

"You can't stop me," Levi muttered.

i can

"I'm a L/N- I can prevent anyone I want from entering this forest- I won't let you."

"You sound like your father," Hanji chuckled, clearly amused.

"It isn't the same," I shook my head.

it's selfish

"Oh?" She cocked her head at me, a wicked glint in her eyes.

it-

"Listen- it's my fault we're even in this situation," I turned to Levi, "I can't let you hurt yourself- even if that makes you hate me- I can't."

"What do you-"

"She's right," Hanji agreed, "I've only ever experimented on myself- I have no way of knowing what would happen to you."

thank you

"Fine," Levi relented indignantly.

THANK YOU

"It's nice to see that you care about each other," Hanji grinned, "I haven't had company in years."

i can kinda tell

"We tolerate each other."

"Sure you do," she tapped the rim of her glass, "I suppose the world is the same?"

"Do you really never leave?" I couldn't help but be a little surprised.

"Why would I?" She sighed, "there isn't anything left for me out there, everyone I once knew is dead."

oh

"Don't look so sad about it," she reached for my hand, "I wouldn't have made this choice if I didn't know the consequences."

it's still sad

"Do you wish you had company?" I smiled at her, "maybe I could send you letters."

"Letters?"

"It's the least I can do- I'll be forever indebted to you."

"I would like that," Hanji nodded after a brief pause, "I'll have questions for you."

"I look forward to reading them."

_________________

hope all of u are doing well! finals week isnt even here yet and im already dying lol

- ami