56. star ruby

"Surely you didn't come to start a fight," my father shot me a weary look. "We've had this conversation, I saved you."

im sorry

"It's just-" I hesitated, "I remember differently- I'm certain there was a woman there."

"If you refuse to believe me, ask one of the knights."

that's the thing

"Dad-" I slowly met his eyes, "I did."

"And?"

"Did I die?"

a beat of silence

"Who told you that?" He brushed off the comment- but the momentary silence was louder than his words. "Who lied to you?"

i can't tell you

"I'm not sure they did," I shook my head. "I believe them."

"I thought we were done having this conversation," he refused to answer, turning his head away from me, an action that took more effort than it should have.

me too

"I need to know- I need to find her."

"And then?"

so she is real

"And then everything will be as it should be- everyone will be happy."

"You won't be able to find her," he muttered, voice barely above a whisper. "Don't go looking."

"So she is real," I mused. "I did die then."

"You're here now."

"Yes, I am." I looked down at my hands, marveling at them. "That must've been hard."

to first lose my mother- then me

He didn't answer, just closed his eyes in silent agreement.

"I-"

"I won't tell you where she is," an air of finality clung to his words. "Even if I did, you won't find her unless she wants you to."

well-

"She saved me once before," I implored, "she helped you once before- who's to say she won't help us again?"

"What could you possibly need so bad that you would seek out that witch for assistance?" He spat out, a fit of coughing wracking his body.

if only i could tell you

"I promise to tell you after," I reached for his hand, squeezing it. "I'm the heir to the marquisate- she's clearly important- I should establish a relationship with her."

someone who has discovered a way to cheat death is more than important

"You will do no such thing."

"I have to."

"Y/N L/N-" his voice was raised and sharp, "you need to attend to your duties in the capital until you're ready to take over."

"You-"

"You clearly aren't ready to accept your position if this conversation is evidence of your maturity." He took a deep pained breath, "you need more time."

i feel sick

"I don't have time."

"You have plenty of time- wait."