59. chrysocolla

Levi grabbed my hand, confidently leading the way as we raced through the heavily wooded forest.

i can still hear it-

The loud screaming was fainter now but still cut through the sound of our footsteps every few minutes, slowly receding into the periphery as we ran.

we aren't prepared for this at all

"Keep going," Levi urged, his grip tightening, "whatever it is, we haven't lost it."

"How can you tell?" I glanced back, over my shoulder.

nothing- as far as i can tell no one is following us

"Is that really important right now?" He kept his eyes ahead of us, at the ever darkening forest, "we'll run until you can't hear it, and then run even further than that. I don't want to know what the fuck is following us."

alright

I focused on the grip of his hand on mine, straining my ears to pick up the sound of our pursuer.

one, two three-

The bloodcurdling scream was muffled now as it called out from somewhere far behind us.

but i can still hear it-

"It sounds human," I shuddered at the thought, willing myself to continue onward and cast away the thought.

"It isn't," Levi quickly dismissed. "Keep listening."

i'll try

We continued to race blindly into the heart of the wood, the sound of our escape intermittently cut off by the screaming which was happening in longer intervals.

it's more distant now

"Levi-" I called out to him after a prolonged silence, "it's stopped- I haven't heard it for five minutes."

"Thank fuck," he sighed loudly, coming to a stop, "what the fuck was that?"

"I have no clue-" I muttered, catching my breath. "Did you see anything?"

"No- I felt it," Levi shook his head, "like cold breath on my fucking neck."

i didn't feel anything like that-

"So you felt it and I- heard it?"

neither of us saw it-

"Have you heard of anything like what just happened?"

no-

"Not at all," I glanced around nervously, "but I also haven't heard of someone coming back to life before- this place is full of surprises."

"We need to find Hanji."

you're right

"Quickly," I nodded, "I don't want to spend the night out here-"

one problem

"Where the fuck are we?" Levi said exactly what I was thinking.

i was so focused on running away i didn't keep track of our surroundings

"Good question,"

"Is any of this familiar?" He looked around, searching for any kind of landmark.

xoxo NO

"The last time I was here I was dead," I shrugged, "and it's not like I remember any of that."

i don't even remember wandering that far into the forest-