33. pyrite

"You know we agreed to get along but actually nothing has changed," I grumbled, standing next to Levi while the two of us watched Isabel spar with another knight. "And your knightage sucks."

"What would you kno-"

"Family of knights- remember? See this is what I mean- we're- you're really bad at this."

ive been minimally insulting

"Who just insulted my family's knights?"

"Whaaaat-" I gasped, "what are you accusing me of? I would never."

"We are shit at this."

agreeing to get along did nothing

my brain is still wired this way

GAHHH

"Well, it's not my fault you've based your entire perception of me on a few bad interactions and a bunch of assumptions."

"Do you hear yourself?"

"I'm perfectly fine, thank you very much."

"It's not my fault you can't admit when you're fucking wrong," Levi mocked me, shaking his head. "Smile Isabel is looking over."

right we're still doing this

ON TOP OF EVERYTHING

WE HAVE TO PRETEND TO BE A COUPLE-

"I'm rarely wrong," I muttered through my smile, waving at Isabel, "and when I am wrong it's never bad."

"Bullshit."

"Oh yeah? Name a time then?" I grumbled, "you look constipated, don't smile like that with my face."

"Do you really want to do this now?" He sighed loudly, before forcing another smile, "is this better?"

how to describe what i'm looking at-

"You look-"

like you're going to kill someone?

"Don't say it."

"Alright-" I hesitated unsure of where to take the conversation from here. "I could help you, if you want."

"With what?"

"Learning how to smile-" I paused, "it's an important skill- and you're in my body. I don't want you grinning like a murderer at random people."

it's disconcerting

"You learned how to fucking smile?"

"Well yeah- I didn't come out of the womb with a perfect smile- I know that must be hard to believe seeing as how you came out of the womb with a stick up your ass but-"

"Y/N- we agreed to get along."

"Right, sorry," I shook my head. "It's easy to smile when you mean it- I learned how to pretend to be interested-"

-and for the low low cost of not being a fool while wearing my face you can too!

"You're kinda shit at it though," Levi frowned, tilting his head.

huh?

"I think I'm rather good at it, rarely has someone realized that I'm faking," I shrugged, shooting a smile at Isabel who grinned in return, "see?"

"What good is the ability to smile if you never use it?" He continued to stare at me in confusion.

"I always use it, what do you mean?"

"No- you rarely do."

well

"Since I entered your body only sometimes- but that's because no one expects you to smile- I don't have to try as hard."

"Even before then, you've never smiled."

"I have no fucking clue what you're talking about."

"Around me you-" the words stopped in his throat, "forget it."

oh

i guess i haven't

not really

"You always ambush me when I'm alone," I felt slightly guilty looking at the conflicted expression on his face. "And besides- most of the time that sort of thing comes up at garden parties, you haven't been to any of them."

"I said forget it."

"If you think about it that way, Levi Ackerman," I paused, meeting his gaze, "I've been more honest with you than most people."

"Was that supposed to make me feel better?" He chuckled, looking away from me, "thanks."

"A thank you from THE Levi Ackerman? This day will go down in history-" I gasped loudly- collapsing into a chair.

"Is that real then?" Levi looked down at me, gesturing to my smile.

"Oh-"

i wonder

"Is it?"

"This one? I'd like to think so," I murmured, my gaze falling to my lap, "hard to tell isn't it?"

He muttered something under his breath, eyes studying my expression.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Alright," I shrugged, looking up at him, "I'll teach you."

"Is this going to help us bond?"

"Certainly not, I think we'll end up on even worse terms," I muttered grimly, "and I barely get anything out of it so I have no clue why I'm even offering."

"You've lost your edge Y/N L/N."

"Oh god really- I can't believe I'm going soft."

"Neither can I, it's a bit depressing."

"I could say the same thing about you-" I chuckled, "if I had to guess you're worried that I'm depressed or something."

don't be worried <3

"And?"

"It's not like you to worry about me, and- I'm not depressed- just frustrated."

"Right."

"Seriously don't worry about me it freaks me out- makes me think that maybe I am just that concerning."

if levi ackerman is worrying about me what do the people i'm close to think of me?

"It's not like us to be like this- it's ridiculous," he muttered, taking a seat next to me.

that's putting it lightly

"Why can't everything be normal?"

"You don't need me to answer that question," Levi rolled his eyes aggressively.

"You're way too good at that-"

"What?"

"Rolling your eyes."

"And you're good at 'pretending to be interested.'"

"I'm glad you've noticed."

"This is one is my real smile," I looked up at him, beaming. "Aren't I cute?"

"How real can it be- it's my face?" He murmured, staring at me.

"I guess you're right."

"It looks fine."

"It looks better on my actual face."

"I believe you."

____________________________________

IM BACK!!! sorry for missing a chapter last week i was sick and needed to focus on work for college whenever my brain fog cleared <3 hope you're all doing well (IF YOU SAW ME ACCIDENTALLY PUBLISH THIS EARLIER TODAY NO YOU DIDN'T)

- AMi(s alright now don't worry)