72. amblygonite

"How are you?" Levi entered the room, shutting the door behind him with a soft click.

"I'm-" I hesitated, "about as good as I could be." Mikasa had arrived shortly after Levi- and the two of them had succeeded in bringing me back to my room where I currently sat swaddled in blankets.

"Right," he nodded, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I think that your friends want to speak to you."

"I also want to talk to them," I nodded stiffly, "I'm sorry."

i should be the one speaking to them

there's no need for you to be an intermediary

that's a lot of work

"Don't apologize," Levi held up a finger to my lips, "your father died- I should be the one apologizing."

no-

"Hey Levi-"

"Hey Y/N?"

"Do you think there's a chance that Hanji could-" he cut me off with a sad look.

right

"I don't think it's the same," he squeezed my hands in his, "and I don't think she would agree to it."

i know you're right-

"I really wanted to believe that she could fix him," the tears began again, flowing down my cheeks that hadn't been dry since the moment I learned of my father. "I know the truth- even if it were possible- I don't think that he would want that."

he was against me finding her to begin with

maybe he knew-

that there wasn't enough time left

"You did everything you could."

"You mean it?"

"I do."

"Maybe-" my mind continued to wander, "maybe Hanji can't bring him back but maybe there's some way to speak with him."

"Maybe," Levi nodded, "can I ask you something?"

"You can ask whatever you want," I nodded. "What's wrong?"

"Earlier-" he hesitated, "you said that someone pushed you-"

"Someone did-" I insisted, "and when I looked up all I saw was you."

do you not believe me?

"I believe you," Levi affirmed, as if hearing my thoughts. "Do you believe me? I swear I didn't push you- I was exiting the balcony when I heard you fall."

against my better judgment-

"I believe you-" I nodded, "I don't think you would have done something like that to me."

and if you did- i trust you enough to think that you would have told me long before this

you wouldn't have let things get this far

the levi i know isn't the kind of person who would do something like that

"Then- who pushed you?"

"I've been avoiding that," I murmured, "I didn't see anything- I was trying to get the last word in with you and then there was nothing- just water."

"Have you had other enemies this whole time?"

"Why?" I glanced up at him, the corners of my mouth turning up into a smile for the first time- "are you jealous?"

"Maybe I would be," he smirked back at me.

don't worry-

"You were the only one-" I grinned at him, "happy now?"

"Overjoyed," Levi responded dryly.

"Somehow I don't think my enemies are the ones we have to be worried about," I hesitated, "whoever it was disliked me enough to kill me but-"

"But?"

"I wonder if it was indifference more than anything- aside from you I've spent my entire life trying to be liked by everyone."

now that the two of us are well-

whatever we are

i can't think of a single person who would hate me to that extent

"So some asshole killed you without motive?"

"No-" I shook my head, "they had a motive- but the person they were trying to hurt was you."

"Me?"

"Just think about it-" I reached for his hand, "it's common knowledge that we don't- didn't- like each other. If someone wanted to hurt you- it would make sense for them to frame you for my murder."

but you saved me-

so their plan fell through

they must be seething

"If that's true- it could be any number of people."

"We can eliminate people who wouldn't benefit from my death," I hummed, "someone who didn't mind using me for collateral- someone who had something to gain from both of us being out of the picture."

someone who wanted the forest

"Still more people than I would like," Levi nodded. "I think we'll have to return to the capital."

"I know we'll have to."

"Fuck that," Levi groaned.

"You're telling me."

"I'll write to my mother, she'll help us."

"We have to make a big entrance- chances are whoever did it is waiting for our return-" I paused, "not to mention the fact that everyone is probably wondering what our relationship is."

we did stir up rumors right before we left

they were fake then but-

now its real

"Do you want to-"

"Show you off?" I chuckled, "I'm torn between protecting my dignity and shoving it in everyone else's face."

historia and ymir are going to have so much to say about it-

i'll have to write to them

hopefully they're ok

"I'm sure we've already received letters asking about it."

"At this point it would be harder to deny our relationship-"

and if we're being 100% honest my dignity has already been crushed

"We have way too much shit to do."

"We're going to have to figure out how to return," I nodded, "but before that-"

"Before that you should stay here- for as long as you need."

"And you?"

"I told you, didn't I?" He squeezed my hand, "I'll be wherever you need me to be."

"Here."

________________

the semester has only just started and im ready for it to be over </3 hope u guys r doing well

- ami