80. peristerite

"Lady L/N, my condolences," a mob descended on me as soon as Levi and Erwin left.

dear god

"Thank you," I nodded, glancing around at familiar faces.

most of you were waiting for this to happen

"Since when were you so close with the future Duke?" As soon as condolences were finished the conversation completely pivoted.

this was expected

"I'm sure you're all aware that he saved me from drowning at the last event I attended," I glanced around at my rapt audience, playing up my damsel in distress character. "After that he invited me back to the duchy to recuperate- the two of us went to visit my father and then- well-" I trailed off.

the best lies are close to the truth

"There was a rumor that he took you dress shopping," a girl I recognized for being part of Levi's fan club leaned forward to get a better look at me.

right- we did do that

"Yes," I chuckled, hiding my mouth with my hand, "he has quite the eye for fashion."

speaking of levi

im a bit worried

just how long is he going to be away with erwin?

how much is he telling him?

can we really trust erwin

"Lady Y/N?"

"Yes?" I snapped back to reality, focusing on entertaining the small crowd that had gathered around me.

"We were just wondering if you're really in the right position to be having a relationship with Lord Ackerman," a woman I recognized as being Ilse Lagnar, the daughter of a count and a prominent member of Levi's cult, spoke up.

oh?

"I don't see why it would be an issue?" I feigned ignorance, "are you suggesting that I should leave Levi? If I recall correctly- you are the daughter of a count and I am a Marchioness."

i outrank you

"On the contrary it's precisely because of that," she retorted, grinning. "You are the only heir to the Marquisate and Levi is the only heir to the Duchy, I only worry about the future of your houses if you were to seriously pursue this relationship."

we had a similar conversation with kuchel awhile ago

i can't say much because it could reflect poorly on me

how can i win this?

"I appreciate your concern but if it really is an issue I'm sure that Duchess Ackerman will say something," I dropped my smile for a second putting on the saddest expression I could muster. "Surely you aren't implying that Levi and I would ever intentionally try to harm either of our families."

please just accept that you aren't getting anywhere with me and go seethe in a corner somewhere

"The Lady is right," I turned to look at this new voice, immediately recognizing Marquess Floch Forster, a prominent figure in the aristocratic faction, "all of you know how dedicated the Marchioness has been to her family's neutrality, I doubt that she would do anything to jeopardize that position."

he wants something

there's no way he would be helping-

unless there was something for him to gain

"Thank you Marquess Forster," I nodded, refocusing my attention on the crowd, "surely there are more interesting things to discuss than the details of my relationship, I would hate to take the spotlight during a gathering arranged by the Prince himself."

levi needs to get back quickly

"That's right, you should all talk amongst each other," I watched as members of the aristocratic faction began to split off after hearing the Marquess's words.

could he have set this up to begin with?

no- right?

we expected this to happen- i doubt there was a mastermind

still

i guess ive always been preoccupied with my relationship with levi

i wrote off floch forster as being totally insignificant

he made me feel slightly uncomfortable

"Are you alright my lady? You seem slightly uncomfortable," he stepped closer to me now that the crowd had dispersed.

"I'm quite alright," I nodded, scanning the room for Ymir and Historia, "I was simply looking for Lady Reiss."

"I'm afraid she's currently busy," he hummed, "I saw her dancing earlier."

right- that makes sense

"Speaking of dancing, could I ask you for your first dance?" He extended a hand to me, grinning.

i don't-

i wanted to dance with levi

i don't want this

"I-" my mind raced as I tried to think of an excuse.

quick y/n-

i'm not really in a position to decline-

but i really don't want to

"Consider it repayment for helping you earlier," he grabbed my hand before I could do anything.

wait-

"Wait!" I said a little louder than intended, drawing the attention of a few guests, "sorry- don't you have a fiance? You should have your first dance with her-"

im nearly certain he does

the daughter of a count-

we never talked but-

"Oh," he sighed, dropping my hand, "you mean Lady Ral?"

right! that was her name

"Yes," I beamed, "I'm certain that Lady Ral would be disappointed if I took your first dance."

that should be good

"No need to worry," he looked frustrated, "Petra is a poor dancer- she'll understand."

that's not true

"Still-" I scanned the room, my eyes landing on a tired looking girl hanging on the edge of the crowd.

that's weird- i never spoke to her but i remember her much differently

she was beautiful

and an amazing dancer

something's wrong

i need to figure out a way to get out of this

"Please, accept this dance," he urged, moving to pull me forward.

no-

"Excuse me," a familiar hand grasped his wrist, pulling him off of me, "I believe the lady promised me her first dance."

"Levi," I spun to look at him."

"Sorry," he whispered, "I took too long."

"You're right on time."

________________________________

mwah

- ami