Chapter 1: Paradise on Earth

Hello loves!
This is my first ever Outer Banks fanfiction! I hope you enjoy reading, don't forget to vote and comment! I'm always open to suggestions 💛
~A

"That's what a uh three story fall to the deck," Pope said.

"I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival if you fall," Evelyn said looking up at John B who was balancing on the edge of the roof of the house.

"Hm," John B said wetting his finger and sticking it in the air, "Should I do it?"

"Yeah you should jump," Pope said, "I'll shoot you on the way down."

"You'll shoot me?" John B asked.

"Yup," said Pope as he made shooting sound with his mouth pretending to shoot John B with the drill in his hand.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers," Kiara said walking out of the house.

"Of course they are," Evelyn said.

"Why wouldn't they?" JJ said.

"This use to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kiara said.

"It'll be alright Kie," Evelyn said patting her friend on the shoulder.

"I can't have cold towels," JJ joked.

"Can you please not kill yourself?" Kiara said finally seeing John B.

"Don't spill that beer," JJ warned, "I'm not giving you another one."

"Yes JJ, because the beer is what you should be worried about right now," Evelyn said rolling her eyes.

"Wow," John B said stumbling and dropping the beer on the ground.

"Of course you did," JJ said.

"Smooth," Kiara said looking at Evelyn.

"Noooo," John B yelled, arms outstretched.

"Dumbass," Evelyn said shaking her head.

"Hey!" someone yelled in the distance making Evelyn snap her head seeing that security had showed up.

"Hey, uh, security's here," Pope said, "Let's wrap it up."

"Boys are early today," John B said.

"Humpty Dumpty, let's roll," JJ said.

"Let's go, boys, and my beautiful Kie," Evelyn said grabbing her friends hand.

"Gary is that you?" JJ yelled.

"Guy get down," Pope said.

"Gary, good to see you man!" JJ yelled again.

"JJ would you leave the poor guy alone," Evelyn said.

"JJ!" Gary yelled.

"Yeah you're just asking for it," Kiara said.

The five teens ran into the house making their way down the stairs.

"Hey, stop!" Gary yelled chasing after them, "Get em' they're coming your way!"

"Not much of a hugger!" JJ said running into one of the guards.

Evelyn threw her head back laughing as she continued to run away from the guards that were chasing them. Evelyn let got of Kiara's hand jumping over the fence, Kiara right behind her.

"Come on guys," Evelyn said rushing the boys behind her.

Pope fell to the ground with a groan as he landed on the other side of the fence.

"Get up, Pope," JJ said, "Fatso's coming."

Evelyn laughed as Gary ran into the fence, "Come here, you little prick."

Evelyn turned to see John B driving up, "Bus is leaving!"

Evelyn hoped in the van as John B started driving away. The girl laughed has she stuck her head out watching Gary chase after them.

"Check out Gary, gunning' for a raise," Pope said.

"Come on, Gary!" JJ yelled, "John B wait slow down."

"You're gonna give him a heart attack," Kiara said.

JJ leaned out of the open door with a beer in his hand, "You're so close! You can do it."

JJ threw the beer can at Gary, him barley missing it, "They don't pay you enough, bro."

"JJ, stop. Leave him alone," Evelyn said.

"Oh, come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished," JJ said

The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

Evelyn looked around as the passed through Figure Eight, sadly her side of town. It was full of rich people who only cared about how much money you have and what was going on at the club. Evelyn much preferred to be on the south side of the island, also known as the cut. That's where he friends were, and where she felt the most at home. Though things hadn't always been that way, she now thought of herself as a natural born pogue.

That's JJ, my best friend since third grade. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding, salt-lifers who made their living off that water. Best surfer I know. Just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and future tax cheat.

That's Kiara, or Kie as we call her. When not saving the turtles or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why, though. So, she's a rich kid, actually. Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists. You know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us. We all sort of have a thing for her.

And that's Pope, the brains of the operation. Finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. And the smartest person I know. Little bit of a weirdo. His father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island, Heyward could get for you. Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter. He was a Pogue, just like the rest of us.

Then there is Evelyn. She had all of the qualities one looks for in a girl. She's smart, pretty, free spirited, and can throw a good punch when necessary. I guess you could say like Kie, we're all into her. She's a rich kid, slumming it with us. Foot in both worlds. Evelyn was really the one who kept our group together. She was always getting us out of tight situations.

So, that's my crew.

And then there's me, John Booker Routledge.