Chapter 6: The Boneyard

Evelyn showed up to the boneyard and there were already several people there. Evelyn looked around trying to find any of her friends when she spotted Kiara sitting on a log talking to a guy. As she walked toward her friend her phone went off making her look down. Her dads face popped up, great. Her dad had always been less approving of her Pogue friends than her mom. As she was debating on wether to answer the phone or not her body collided with someone else.

"I'm so sorry," Evelyn said.

"Watch where you're going," the boy snapped.

Without even looking up Evelyn knew exactly who it was. She looked up to see Topper turning to face her.

"Oh uh Evelyn," Topper said, "Sorry. I didn't know it was you."

"It's fine. I wasn't watching where I was going," Evelyn said.

"No, no. Neither was I," Topper said.

Awkward silence fell over the two teens.

"So," Evelyn said, "How have you been?"

"Good. Great actually," Topper said, "You?"

"I've been good," Evelyn said.

Topper was getting ready to say something else when Evelyn's phone started ringing again making her groan. If her dad had already called her twice he would not be happy if he had to call a third time.

"Give me a second," Evelyn said pressing the phone to her ear, "Hey Dad."

"Hey honey," her dads voice came from the phone, "Your mother told me you were out."

"Yeah I am," Evelyn said.

"Hopefully not with those Pogue friends of yours," her dad said.

"Dad," Evelyn said.

"You spend too much time with those Pogues, they're changing you," he said.

"Dad can we please not do this right now," Evelyn said.

"Fine. I just wish you'd hand out with some of your old friends sometimes," he said, "How long has it been since you've hung out with Topper? You two use to be really close."

Evelyn glance over at Topper who gave her a tight lipped smile. A smile came to Evelyn face as an idea popped in her head.

"I'm actually here with him now," she said making Topper give her a questioning look.

"Really?" her dad questioned.

"Yeah. Do you want to talk to him?" Evelyn asked making Topper give her a look.

"Yeah sure sweetie," her dad said.

"Okay, give me a second," Evelyn said placing her microphone on mute and speaker phone so they could hear her dad but he couldn't hear them.

"What are you doing?" Topper asked.

"Can you please just tell him that I'm hanging out with you tonight," Evelyn pleaded, "It would really get him off my back."

"I don't know," Topper said, "I don't really feel comfortable lying to your dad."

"You there Topper?" her dad said.

"Please Top," Evelyn said grabbing him arm.

Topper huffed but grabbed her phone taking it off of mute.

"Yeah Mr. Blackwood. I'm here," Topper said.

"How many times do I have to tell you Topper. Call me Jake," her dad said.

"Right. Sorry, Jake," Topper said.

"So what are you and my lovely daughter up to this evening," Jake asked.

"Umm we're just at a party," Topper said not know if he should lie about where they are at.

"A party huh?" Jake said.

"Yes, sir," Topper said.

"All right," Jake said, "Well make sure my girl stays safe."

"I will," Topper said.

"You should stop by the house tomorrow for lunch, son. Allison would be glad to see you," Jake said.

"I'll for sure do that," Topper said.

"All right. Well I'll let you two kids get back to having fun," Jake said.

"Have a good night sir," Topper said.

"Bye dad," Evelyn added before her dad hung up the phone.

"Thank you," Evelyn said.

"No problem," Topper said waving her off.

"No seriously, Top," Evelyn said grabbing the boys arm again, "You just saved me. And you didn't have to."

"It really was no problem, Bee," Topper said.

Bee. No one else called her that but Topper. It was a stupid nickname Topper had given her when they were kids after she had threatened to beat him if he killed a bee that was in his room.

"Topper I swear I will hit you," Evelyn said.

"It's just a bee, Ev. What's the big deal?" Topper said.

"Bee's are apart of the ecosystem! If we didn't have bees that means we wouldn't have flowers or plants. In turn meaning we wouldn't have any oxygen!" Evelyn ranted.

"You are so weird you know that," Topper laughed as Evelyn trapped the bee between a piece of paper and a glass cup.

"I just care about our environment. That's all," Evelyn smiled as she released the bee out of Toppers window.

"Anyway," Topper said, "I better go find Sarah."

"Oh yeah of course," Evelyn said, "Wouldn't want to keep you from your girlfriend."

Topper smiled at the girls before turning to walk down the beach. Evelyn turned the opposite way hoping Kiara would still be where she was on the log.

"Hey Ev," she heard Topper yell making her turn toward him.

"Yeah," she said back.

"It was good talking to you," Topper yelled, "We should run into each other like this more often."

Before Evelyn could say anything Topper had turned back around and kept walking. She watched as he walked up to Sarah giving the girl a hug and a kiss. A pang in her chest caused her to look away.

Though her and Topper had always been best friends she couldn't help but wonder if there could have been something else there. What would have happened if the two's friendship hadn't fallen out. Would she be in Sarah's shoes right now? Her parents would definitely much prefer it. Their perfect Kook daughter married to another Kook instead of one of the Pogues she hangs out with all of the time.

"Hey," JJ said throwing his arm around her shoulder breaking her from her thoughts, "You finally made it."

"Yeah sorry. I got here and then my dad called," Evelyn said.

"No worries. The party is just starting," JJ said looking at the girls glossed over eyes, "You alright?"

"Oh yeah," Evelyn said, "I just got some sand in my eyes."

"All right," he said not believing a word the girl said, "Well let's go get you a drink."

A little Topper moment for you 😉
~A