Chapter 31: Hydroponic

The girl were laying in the cabin of the boat amongst several sleeping bags and blankets.

"Hey, Sarah," Kiara said.

"Hey, Kiara," Sarah whispered.

"Promise me that you won't bail on John B," Kiara said, "He's not just some other guy. And he really, really likes you."

"I won't," Sarah said.

"Promise me," Kiara said.

"I promise," Sarah said.

"Hey, guys," Evelyn said knowing this was her chance to tell them both that she had kissed Topper.

"Hey," the both replied.

"Topper kissed me," Evelyn said.

Kiara rolled her head to look at her as Sarah sat up on her elbow looking at the girl.

"When?" Sarah questioned.

"The day of the argument?" Kiara asked.

"Yeah," Evelyn said.

"Well did you kiss back?" Kiara asked.

"Yeah," Evelyn sighed.

"Did you like it?" Sarah questioned.

"I mean at first," Evelyn said, "Then after it just felt...weird. Like there was something holding me back."

"What do you think it was?" Sarah asked.

"I don't know," Evelyn said, half lying.

"You're trying to tell us that you don't know what's holding you back?" Kiara asked, "I call bullshit."

"Yeah come on just tell us," Sarah said, "What can be worse than kissing Topper."

Evelyn sighed, "JJ almost kissed me."

"When?" Kiara questioned.

"The night John B got pushed out of the Hawks Nest," Evelyn said, "It was when we were both standing outside of the van. I was crying over not being able to help him after he got bailed out. Our lips were so close to touching when you yelled asking if we had heard the scream."

"Damn," Kiara whispered.

"I know," Evelyn said running her hand through her hair, "I don't know how I got into this mess."

"You said you didn't enjoy the kiss from Topper?" Sarah questioned.

"In the moment I did, I even kissed him back," Evelyn said, "But after, I don't know it just felt like something was holding me back."

"Maybe that something was your subconscious telling you to give this thing with JJ a shot," Sarah said, "I mean he tired to kiss you before Topper kissed you, right?"

"Yeah," Evelyn said.

"Well I think you should give it a shot," Sarah said.

"I just really don't want to ruin our friendship," Evelyn admitted making Kiara laugh, "What?"

"Have you even seen the way that boy looks at you?" Kiara asked.

"What are you talking about?" Evelyn questioned, "JJ looks at me the same way he looks at you."

It was now Sarah who was laughing at the girl.

"What?" Evelyn questioned.

"I've only see you two together and handful of times and I can even tell you that's not true," Sarah said, "Did you see the way he looked at you when you told him to let you go at John B's house the other day. He looked like you'd just kick his new puppy."

"You guys are crazy," Evelyn said, "JJ does not look at me a certain way."

"Do you really think Sarah and I would both be agreeing on something if it weren't 100% true?" Kiara asked.

"She's got a point," Sarah said.

"I suppose not," Evelyn admitted.

"I think you should go for it," Sarah said.

"Me too," Kiara agreed, "You know I've always thought you and JJ would be a cute couple."

Silence fell over the girls as Evelyn though about what Kie and Sarah had just told her. Did JJ really look at her differently?

"Also," Kiara said breaking the silence, "I'm sorry I called the cops."

"I knew it," Sarah said as laughter broke out across the three girls, "I knew it, you bitch."

"You--you should have invited me," Kiara said through laughter.

"So you called the cops?"

"Yes!"

--

"Uh-oh!" Pope yelled as the boat came toward the girls.

"You guys forget your keys or something?" John B questioned.

"You guys need a tow?" Pope asked.

"Don't give them the satisfaction of thinking this worked," Kiara said turning to the other girls.

"Absolutely not," Sarah said.

"Wouldn't even dream of it," Evelyn said crossing her arms and looking back at the boys.

"You gotta admit it was funny," John B said.

"John B," Kiara said.

"Uh, what's that?" John B asked.

"Mastermind, huh?" Kiara questioned.

"I'm always plannin'," John B said.

"Some patriarchal bullshit," Kiara complained.

"Yeah, that sucked," Sarah admitted.

"Can't believe you guys left me out here with these two," Evelyn complained.

"You still love us though, right?" JJ questioned throwing the rope to Kiara.

"No, we really don't," Evelyn said.

"Still hate me?" John B asked Sarah.

"A little. We're all going to get you back when you least expect it," Sarah said.

"Watch your back, boys," Kiara said.

"Well I for one welcome that challenge," Pope said.

"Me too. We're not scared of you," JJ said.

"You should be," Evelyn said narrowing her eyes at the boy.

"So, did you guys, you know..." Pope said.

"Reconcile our differences?" Kiara asked.

"Mm-mm," Sarah hummed.

"Not even close," Kiara said.

"But we're...willing to work together," Evelyn said.

"You know what? That's victory," John B said.

"Woggedy-woggedy-woggedy," Pope said doing a handshake with JJ.

"You now what it was guys?" JJ questioned, "Hydroponic."

"Don't say that," Pope said.

"All right, shut up," John B said, "You guys ready to jack some loot?"

"Yeah, whatever," Evelyn said grabbing JJ's hand and climbing into the boys boat.

"What it really that bad?" he questioned the girl.

"The worst day of my life," Evelyn joked.

"Oh that's just because you missed me," JJ teased.

"Yeah right, you wish," Evelyn said turning so that JJ couldn't see the blush on her cheeks.

Sorry this chapter is so short, I wanted to split these into two parts because Chapter 30 and 31 together was really long!

The next chapter is them getting the gold!

~A