Chapter 43: Goodbyes

"Dude where is he?" Kiara asked as the four waited for John B at the dock.

The had gotten the boat in the water and John B was late. Evelyn hoped that he hadn't been caught trying to get here.

"Give him a second. He'll be here," Pope said.

"He's coming. He'll be fine," JJ said.

A sheriffs vehicle started diving up making them start to worry.

"JJ," Evelyn said.

"Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat," JJ said, "Untie it,"

"Shit," Kiara said walking toward the boat.

"Wait," JJ said making Evelyn stop and look toward the vehicle.

"John B," she whispered seeing the boy walking toward them.

"No way," JJ said.

"No f'ing way," Pope said.

"I'm sorry," Kiara said.

"You've got to be joking," Evelyn laughed.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin," John B said.

"Okay. That's believable. I'll buy that for now," Kiara said hugging John B.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but we got the Phantom for you and she runs like she was made yesterday," JJ said throwing John B the keys, "You ready to go?"

"Where's Sarah?" John B asked.

"She's not with you?" Evelyn asked.

"No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she was going to meet me here," John B said.

"We haven't seen her, man," Pope said.

"Okay, well I'm not leaving without her," John B said.

"John B look at me," JJ said walking up to him, "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the boarder at Brownsville you got that? Brownsville."

Evelyn looked at John B. She could tell that he was hurting and really wanted to wait for Sarah. But who knew how much time they had. He needed to leave now, or all of this was for nothing.

"Hey! You got that?" JJ said grabbing his head.

"Yeah. Yeah. Brownsville," John B said.

"All right. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this," JJ said jumping off the boat and onto the dock.

John B climbed onto the boat as the all prepared to push him farther into the water.

"Hey, hey," John B said turning to his friend with tears in his eyes, "I'm sorry for basically...throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing."

"Hey, John B, yo... we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ said making everyone laugh.

"Yeah," John B breathed.

"At least we did it together, though," JJ said with tears in his eyes as he pulled Pope and Evelyn into him.

Evelyn grabbed ahold of Kiara pulling the girl toward her as tears fell down her cheeks.

"Pogue style," JJ said.

"Pogue style," John B whispered.

"Get out of here! Please," Kiara said.