Chapter 33: Best Liar

"He said it looked something like this," Kiara said referencing the drawing that Pope had made of the pulley system they were going to use to get the gold out, "That's 50 feet down, and they're using 100-feet rope."

"I'm guessing this little wagon will go straight to the gold room," Evelyn said.

"Who drew this?" Sarah laughed

"Who do you think?" Kiara laughed.

"Kie," JJ said walking up to the van where the girls were sitting, "This better work. We can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it."

"It's gonna work," Kiara said picking up a blow torch.

Evelyn watched as Kiara placed the gold into a pot, putting on safety glasses. The gold started melting making the girl smile.

"We're gonna be rich!" JJ yelled picking up Evelyn and spinning her around making the girl giggle.

"Calm down there boy scout," Evelyn said, "We have to pawn it off first."

--

John B pulled the van up right outside of the pawnshop. The group had decided that JJ would be the one to actually pawn off the gold.

"Hell of a job melting it down Dr.Frankenstein," JJ said getting out of the van.

"Like you could have done any better," Kiara sassed.

"I could have done much better. I took a welding class," JJ claimed.

"When?" Kiara questioned and John B shushed them both.

"Chill out, okay," Evelyn said.

"That's easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn off this piece of shit," JJ said, "How did I get this job anyway?"

"Cause you're the best liar," Pope said as Evelyn clasped her hand on JJ's shoulder making him look back at her.

"Don't worry. You got this," Evelyn encouraged as the walked into the pawnshop.

"Afternoon, ma'am," JJ said.

"Afternoon," the lady replied.

Evelyn walked into the shop behind him walking over to look at some old records.

"I see you buy gold," JJ said.

"That's what the sign say, don't it?" the woman sassed.

"Well, I sure hope you buy a lot of it, because I'm about to blow your mind," JJ said taking his backpack off and placing it on the counter.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it," the woman said.

"How about them gold apples?" JJ asked placing the gold on the counter.

Evelyn glanced over at the woman who had a smirk on her face, "That ain't real."

"That ain't real?" JJ questioned.

"It can't be," the woman said.

"Feel how heavy it is," JJ said making the woman reach for the gold.

She struggled, but eventually got it up and off the counter examining it with a lit up magnifying glass.

"Spray-painted tungsten," she said.

"Spray-painted tungsten? Really?" JJ questioned, "Why don't you see how, uh, soft it is?"

Evelyn wasn't even pretending to look at the records anymore, she was full on watching JJ's interaction with the woman.

"Do you mind?" she asked puling out a hammer and nail.