Chapter 38: We've Hit Rock Bottom

Evelyn woke up to the sun shining in on her face. She rolled over to see that Kiara was no longer next to her in the bed. She laid on her back staring up at the ceiling thinking back to everything that had happened the day before. She ran her hand down her face with a groan. Talking to JJ was not going to be fun first thing in the morning.

After wrestling whether to get up and face JJ or staying in bed all day Evelyn decided to get up. She knew that Kiara would end up dragging her out of bed anyway. Evelyn went over to the door walking outside to the backyard. JJ was sitting in the edge of the hot tub with his feet in while Kiara and Pope were off by the big tree on the side of the house.

"Hey," JJ said as Evelyn walked over to him.

"Hey," she said sitting next to him and dipping her feet in the hot tub.

"How'd you sleep?" JJ asked.

"All right," Evelyn said, "You?"

"All right," JJ said.

Awkward silence fell over the two as Evelyn splashed the water around in the hot tub with her foot.

"Look," Evelyn said, "I don't want what happened last night to make things awkward between the both of us."

"E," JJ said.

Evelyn continued to babble, "I know you were drunk and if the kiss didn't mean anything to you then that's fine. And well if it did mean something, which I doubt it did, then I feel like we need to talk about it and..."

JJ grabbed her face, placing his lips on hers. Evelyn leaned into the kiss before he pulled away.

"That was a nice way of telling me to shut up," Evelyn laughed.

"Well I had to do it somehow," JJ joked.

"So I guess this means..."

"That the kiss did mean something to me," JJ said, "I may have been drunk, but I knew what I was doing."

"So what now?" Evelyn asked.

"I think for now we need to focus of getting the gold, then we'll talk about us," JJ said.

"I agree," Evelyn said.

"Where is John B?" Pope asked, "I have my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done."

"Speak of the devil," JJ said as John B walked up.

"Hey! Where ya been?" Evelyn asked.

"Dude I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything," JJ said as Evelyn got out of the hot tub.

"You did not," Evelyn said shoving the boy in the arm.

"I did that," Pope said.

John B ignored the group and continued to walk into the chateau.

"Okay, that's it?" JJ asked.

"What's that all about?" Pope asked.

"I was gonna ask you the same thing. You guys were the last ones with him," Evelyn said walking toward Pope.

The group rushed in the house to see John B going through everything, searching for something.

"You all right, man?" Pope asked, "What--what's up?"

"What are you looking for?" Kiara asked.

"Bro, what is going on man?" JJ asked as John B walked over to the couch bed.

John B pulled out the gun from behind the pillow looking at it.

"John B what do you need the gun for?" JJ questioned walking toward his friend.