Chapter 29: Friends Still?

Evelyn decided to run home before heading over to Toppers house and change into something more comfortable. She parked in the boys driveway realizing that she had never text him to let him know she was coming over. Hopefully he was still at home. She got out of her car and walked up to the door, ringing the doorbell. After a minute Evelyn heard footstep coming from inside the house.

"It's about time," Topper said looking down at his phone, "You're late."

Evelyns eyes ran over Toppers body, he had no shirt on and was wearing gray sweatpants.

"Sorry..." Evelyn said making Topper look up at her.

"Oh Evenly," Topper said, "Sorry, I thought you were the pizza guy."

"Nope just me. Sorry I didn't text before coming over," Evelyn said.

"No, no problem," Topper said moving out of the door way, "Come in."

Evelyn gave the boy a tight lipped smile before walking into his house.

"I have things set up in the living room and there is pizza on the way," Topper said, "If it ever gets here."

"How late is it?" Evelyn asked.

"About 10 minutes," Topper said.

"Yikes," Evelyn said walking into the living room, "At least now it will be free."

"Yeah," Topper said walking over and sitting down on a chair.

Evelyn walked over sitting on the couch. She felt a bit awkward, this was the first time her and Topper had hung out in over a year.

"When are you watching?" Evelyn asked looking at the tv.

"Oh I just started 21 Jump Street," Topper said, "We can watch something else though."

"No, that's a funny movie," Evelyn said, "We can watch it."

Topper just nodded his head playing the movie. After about 10 minutes of the movie playing the doorbell rang.

"That must be the pizza," Topper said pausing the movie.

Evelyn heard the pizza guy apologizing to Topper about being late because he couldn't find the house. After a few minutes Topper came back with a pizza box in his hand, setting it down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"Do you want something to drink?" he asked.

"I'll just take a water," Evelyn said as he walked off to the kitchen.

She opened up the pizza box seeing that Topper had ordered a pepperoni pizza.

"Here ya go," Topper said holding out the bottle of water.

"Thanks," Evelyn said as Topper sat down on the couch next to her instead of the chair he was previously sitting in.

The two ate their pizza and watched the movie in silence. The movie was a little over half way done when a cold chill ran down Evelyns body. She had forgotten how cold Topper's family kept their house and had worn shorts and a crop t-shirt.

"You cold?" Topper asked looking over at the girl, "Do you want some of my blanket."

"I'm fine," Evelyn said.

"You have goosebumps all over your body," Topper laughed, "Come here."

Evelyn hesitantly scooted closer to Topper as the boy placed the blanket over her lap. The warmth from the blanket and his body instantly hit her skin.

"Better?" Topper asked.

"Better," Evelyn said.

Topper turned back to the movie as Evelyn still looked at the boy.