Chapter 25: The Hawks Nest

The radio blared as they made their way to the Hawks Nest.

"All right," John B said parking the van.

"Hit it, boys!" JJ yelled, "We're goin'. Recon mission."

"Yeah, uh..." John B said turning around to look at everyone, "I think I'm gonna do this one by myself...tonight."

Kiara rolled her eyes.

"Really?" JJ asked.

"What?" John B said.

"Nothin', brother," JJ said sitting back.

"I just don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery," John B said.

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all," Kiara said.

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay?" John B said.

"I'm pretty sure going to Chapel Hill with her and getting these maps from her is considered involving her," Evelyn said raising her eyebrow.

"It's just a--like a business meeting," John B said, "Once we get what we need, we cut her loose, all right? Plus we need the map."

"Promise me nothing's happening between you two," Kiara said.

"Nothing is happening, Kie," John B said.

"I'm being serious," Kiara said.

"Okay!" John B said.

"This isn't about you, and this is about us. This is about her," Kiara said, "Dude, she's gonna get inside of your head. Just promise me nothing's happening between you guys."

"I promise," John B said.

"That was really believable," JJ said.

"A hundred percent believable," Evelyn agreed.

"Anyways, um...I'm gonna take care of business," John B said.

"You're gonna take care of it so well," JJ said.

"We'll just sit here," Pope said, "In the hot ass car. While it's lightning."

John B got out of the van and started walking toward the lookout

"Kiara," Pope said, "Holding onto your grudges is like drinking poison and thinking Sarah will die."

"Exactly," JJ said.

"Pope is right Kie. All this stressing is no good," Evelyn said, "And over what? Because John B is being a dumbass."

Kiara just sat looking out of the window, ignoring her friends.

"Well I'm not sitting in this hot ass van," Evelyn said sliding out of the van.

She walked over toward the trees, closing her eyes and the wind flowed through her hair.

"Hey," JJ said walking up beside her

"Hey," she said looking over at him, "How are you?"

"I'm fine," JJ said.

"My dad and I went down to the police station," Evelyn admitted, "Your dad had already bailed you out and had you in the car by the time we arrived..."

Evelyn looked up at the boy next to her, hurt in her eyes. JJ now knew that she had seen his dad hit him. He had never kept it a secret from his friend that his dad hit him, but he never talked about it either.

"I'm fine, E," JJ said.

"You don't look fine," Evelyn said reaching up and running her hand over the bruises on the side of his face.