Chapter 2: Riding Out The Storm

Hurricane Agatha continues to make its steady march toward Kildare Island on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

"It's getting pretty bad out there," Kiara said walking to her window.

"Well it is a hurricane," Evelyn said looking at her phone.

"I hope John B is okay," Kiara said.

Evelyn rolled to her stomach looking up at her friend, "I'm sure he's fine, Kie."

"I know," Kiara said walking away from the window, "I just worry about him."

"You didn't use to worry about him this much," Evelyn said eyeing her friend, "What's changed?"

"N-nothing," Kiara said.

"Mhm," Evelyn said.

"What?" Kiara asked.

"Nothing," Evelyn said getting off of Kiara's bed.

"No, what?" Kiara asked.

"Look I don't think you want to get into this right now," Evelyn said.

"Get into what?" Kiara asked.

"Your feelings for John B," Evelyn said.

"My feelings for John B are the same as yours for him," Kiara said.

"Please," Evelyn laughed, "You may be able to convince Pope and JJ of that but I'm your best friend Kie. I see right through your bullshit."

"There is no bullshit," Kiara said, "I'm telling the truth. I-"

"Okay Kie," Evelyn said cutting off her friend, "Okay. I believe you."

"Thank you," Kiara said.

"So what are we going to do tonight to ride out the storm?" Evelyn asked.

"I figured we could watch movies," Kiara said, "Just like old times."

"That sounds amazing!" Evelyn said, "We haven't had a proper girls night in ages."

"I know. I love the boys but they're always around," Kiara said.

The two girls had settled into bed and were about an hour into Teen Beach Movie when Kiara's room when dark.

"Oh come on," Kiara groaned.

"We were just getting to the good part," Evelyn said.

"Well I guess that ends our movie night," Kiara said climbing off of her bed to light some candles.

- -

"Do you ever miss it?" Evelyn asked staring up at Kiara's ceiling.

The power had been out for hours and without the air conditioning the house had begun to get hot and humid.

"Miss what?" Kiara asked.

"Our old lives," Evelyn said.

"What do you mean?" Kiara asked.

"I don't know. Like our old friends," Evelyn said, "Don't get me wrong. I love John B, Pope, and JJ. But sometimes I miss those connections I use to have with our Kook friends."

"I guess sometimes," Kiara admitted, "But they chose their lives, and we chose ours."

"I know," Evelyn said, "I just wish we could all live in harmony."

"You know sometimes you say things that are so nice and I wonder how we can be friends," Kiara said.

"Why does that matter?" Evelyn said.

"Because I'm a bitch," Kiara replied making Evelyn laugh.

"You are not," Evelyn said.

"Just because you're my best friend doesn't mean you have to lie to protect my feelings," Kiara said, "I know I can be a bitch sometimes. And I'm okay with that."

"Well you may be a bitch but I still love you," Evelyn said.

"I love you too," Kiara said smiling up at the ceiling.

"Have you talked to him recently?" Kiara asked after a moment of silence.

Evelyn's body went stiff. Even though Kiara didn't mention his name, she knew exactly who she was talking about.

"No," Evelyn said.

"It's been what, almost a year?" Kiara asked.

Evelyn just shook her head.

"I heard he's dating Sarah Cameron now," Kiara said.

"Oh," was all that Evelyn could get out of her mouth.

Kiara didn't tend to bring Topper up around Evelyn because she knew he was a sore subject. Since Evelyn could remember her and Topper had been friends. Their parents were close so they were alway together growing up. That all changed about a year ago. Freshman year was rough on their friendship. The rivalry between the Kooks and the Pogues began to get to Topper. It made her heart break to watch her best friend change in front of her eyes. Though she had been best friend with Topper her whole life, and JJ, John B , Pope, and Kiara since second grade, she had to choose between them. She ultimately chose the Pogues because Topper was the one making her choose. No one talks about the pain in losing someone who is still physically here. You can see them with your own eyes but you don't recognize them at all.

"Look I know I don't particularly care for Topper," Kiara said, "But I know you guy were best friends. And I just want you to know that I'm always here if you ever need to talk about it. I know what it's like to lose someone you once called your best friend."

Evelyn felt Kiara's hand grab hers as she gave it a squeeze. This was one subject that they two rarely talk about but was what had bonded them in the first place. The same year Evelyn had her falling out with Topper was when Kiara had her falling out with Sarah. Evelyn didn't know exactly what had happened but she knew the two had been best friends and now they hated each other. Evelyn had been so grateful for Kiara during those times, she was someone who could relate to what she was going through. No one else understood, not even her parents. Shortly after, the girls leaned in harder to their friendship with the Pogue boys. The five had been inseparable ever since.

"You're the best friend a girl could ask for," Evelyn whispered.

"Right back at cha' babe," Kiara said.

Evelyn slowly drifted off to sleep knowing that no matter what, the friends she had now wouldn't turn their backs on her like Topper had. They were ride or die until the very end.