Chapter 22: Arrested Who?

"Hey hun," her dad said walking into her room.

"Hey, dad," Evelyn said.

"Just wanted to check to make sure you made it home safe," he said sitting on the side of her bed, "I heard there was a fire at the movie tonight."

"Oh yeah. I don't know what happened," Evelyn lied, "The screen just went up in flames."

"Probably some good for nothing low life, kid," he said.

"Probably," Evelyn said.

"Well as long as you're all right sweetie," he said.

"Yeah, I'm all right," Evelyn said.

"You know your mother and I don't really tell you this enough," he said, "But we are so proud of you."

"Thanks dad," Evelyn said pulling him into a hug.

"Anytime sweetie," he said placing his hand on top of hers, "And if there's anything you ever need, just ask."

Evelyn smiled at her father. Even though he could be critical of her friend choices, and hard on her sometimes, he was always there when she needed him.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," she said.

- -

"Don't let it get in your head. There is was three of them and two of us," JJ said.

Evelyn sighed as she stocked the shelf next to him at Heyward's.

"That's typical Kook shit right there," Pope said.

"Hell, yeah," Kiara said.

"What was your thought process using your head?" JJ asked.

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted on instinct," Pope said.

"You know I've never understood why people used their head when fighting," Evelyn said, "It could literally hurt you just as much as them."

"Hey, Pope, someone's here to see you," Heyward said.

Evelyn looked up to see Shoupe walking into the store.

"Evening, officer," Pope said.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property," Shoupe said hanging Heyward a piece of paper.

"What?" Heyward asked.

"Keep your hands on the counter," Shoupe said walking behind Pope, "Young lady, out of my way."

"Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward asked.

"Take a look at the warrant," Shoupe said.

"You're arresting him?" Evelyn asked.

"You're gonna just arrest my boy?" Heyward asked.

"Be careful!" Kiara said.

"Shoupe, are you listening?" Heyward asked.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law," Shoupe said.

"How much did they pay you, man," JJ asked.

"Come on, you can't do this," Evelyn said following Shoupe outside.

"Let him go, man," JJ said being pushing back.

Evelyn watched as Shoupe opened the door to his truck. Someone grabbing her hand caught her attention. She looked over to see JJ standing next to her, "I'm sorry. I know I promised."

"Wha—"

"It wasn't him!" JJ yelled, "It was me."

"JJ," Evelyn whispered as the boy dropped her hand.

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit," JJ said walking up to Pope, "I can't let you take the blame for something I did. You've got too much to lose."

"JJ what are you doing?" Pope asked.

"I'm tellin' the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth," JJ said, "I took his old man's boat, too."

"What the hell?" Heyward said.

"JJ, come on," Pope said.

"Just shut up, Pope!" JJ yelled, "Just shut up. He's a good kid. You know where I'm from."

"Yeah," Shoupe said.

"It was all me," JJ said.

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe asked looking at Pope.

"Whole truth, swear to God," JJ said.

"I know what you think, damn it," Shoupe said, "I'm asking Pope."

"Yeah, that about covers it," Pope said.

JJ looked back, sending Evelyn a small smile as Shoupe was unlocking Pope's handcuff. Shoupe placed the handcuffs on JJ's wrist placing him in the police truck as a tear ran down Evelyn's face.

"Pope," Heyward said.

"Shit!" Pope yelled throwing his hat on the ground as Shoupe drove away.

"I gotta do something," Evelyn said

"Evelyn what are you going to do?" Kiara asked.

"I don't know Kie, but I have to do something," Evelyn said running to her car.

She sped all of the way home almost hitting a few cars. She pulled into her driveway throwing her car in park and jumping out.

"Mom! Dad!" Evelyn yelled running into the house.

"In the kitchen," someone yelled.

Evelyn ran into the kitchen seeing her mom washing dishes.

"What's wrong?" Allison asked.

"Where's dad?" Evelyn cried.

"He's outside honey, what is wrong," Allison said walking toward her daughter.

"Mom, they've arrest him," Evelyn sobbed, "We have to get help him. We can't leave him there."

"Arrested who?" Allison asked.

"JJ," Evelyn said, "We can't leave him there. We can't leave him in jail."

"What's going on?" Jake asked walking into the kitchen.

"JJ has been arrested," Allison said.

"Dad please, we have to go help him," Evelyn said begging her dad.

"Absolutely not," Jake said.

"Dad please. He didn't do what they're accusing him of," Evelyn said, "If his—if his dad finds out he's going to hit him again."

It was no secret that JJ's dad hit him. Though he didn't talk about it, Evelyn noticed when he'd show up with new cuts and bruises on his body.

"Please," Evelyn said as tears flooded her eyes, "You told me if I ever needed help with anything that I just needed to ask. I need your help with this."

Her dad sighed, "Go get in my truck. I'm going to talk to your mother and I'll be there in a minute. "

"Thank you, dad," Evelyn said pulling him into a hug, "Thank you! Thank you!"