Chapter 5: Kegger?

Merry Christmas everyone! 🎄💛

"Who's that?" John B asked.

"It's Scooter Grubbs," a girl said, "He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got."

Evelyn quickly turned her head not wanting to see the photo the girl was trying to show them. How morbid could this girl be to even take a picture of a dead body.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand new Grady-White," the girl said catching Evelyn's attention, "Everyone's out looking for it."

- -

"Okay so we didn't see anything. We don't know anything," Pope said walking onto the porch of the chateau, "We have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually, Popes right for once," JJ said, "See, I agree with your sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

"Guys we can't keep that money," Kiara said.

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara," JJ said.

"Kie's right JJ. We have to pass it off to Lana Grubbs, other wise it's bad karma," Evelyn said.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too," Pope said, "We gotta go dark."

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree," JJ said.

"I don't agree," John B said.

"Finally. One of you has some common sense," Evelyn said rolling her eyes.

"What? Why?" JJ asked.

"Just think about it," John B said, "This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about. Same dude that buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 buck in his pocket, and all of a sudden he's got a Grady-White? Just sayin'."

- -

"All right, so think about it, Pope. How does a marina rat get a Grady-White?" John B asked.

"Prostitution," Pope said as he cast his fishing pole.

"Square groupers, bro," John B said, "Okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance. They don't do that stuff during the hurricane. What does that mean? JJ?"

"They were straight smugglin'," JJ said.

"And I guarantee you there is a serious amount of contraband in that wreck," John B said.

"Hell, yeah," JJ said hooking his line, "Fish on."

- -

"For the record if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband on the inside of it, it probably belongs to someone else," Pope said grabbing the stack of cash out of JJ's hand.

"Minor details," Kiara said.

"They could come looking for it. Taking it would be catastrophically stupid," Pope said.

"I have to agree with Pope on this one," Evelyn said.

"Right. Well stupid things have good outcomes all the time," JJ said grabbing the money back from Pope and fanning it out, "All we need to do is figure out a way to get into the cargo hold of that wreck. Until then we just lay low. Just act normal."

"Right. And how exactly do we do that?" Evelyn asked.

"Kegger?" Kiara asked.

"Fine. But I gotta run home first. My parents are probably going to kill me if I don't at least let them know I'm okay after the hurricane," Evelyn said standing up.

"Meet us at the boneyard," John B said.

"Will do," Evelyn said waking out of the room.

- -

As she strolled up the her house she saw the damage the storm had caused. Several trees in the yard were uprooted, and it looked like one had almost hit the house.

"Mom!" Evelyn yelled walking into the house, which due to the generators was much cooler than the outside air.

"In the kitchen!" her mom yelled back.

Evelyn dropped her bag and walked to toward the kitchen where he mother was standing in front of the fridge.

"Nice of you to finally come home," she joked.

"Sorry. Kiara and I went out on the boat this morning with the boys," Evelyn said sitting at the counter.

"Well I hope you were careful," her mother said, "I'm sure that storm messed up the channels."

"We were mom," Evelyn said lying, "Anyway. I just stopped by to let you know I'm alive and well. I gotta go meet up with them again."

"Didn't you just say you spent all day with them?" her mom asked, "You should stick around the house."

"Mom," Evelyn groaned, "Please don't start."

"I didn't say anything," her mom said.

"You didn't have to," Evelyn said pinching the bridge of her nose, "I know how you feel about me hanging out with them but they're my best friends."

"And you use to have different best friends," her mom said.

"Mom," Evelyn said.

"All I'm saying sweetie is that friends come and go," he mom said, "You could always make new friends."

"I like the friends that I have mom," Evelyn said rolling her eyes.

"All right," her mother sighed, "Just please be careful. I'm only trying..."

"To look out for me and do what's in my best interest," Evelyn said with her mom making her smile, "I know mom and I love you for it. But you have to realize that I'm 16 now. I need to be able to start making my own decisions. Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go change."

Evelyn walked up to her room digging through through her drawers pulling out a fresh swim suit and clothes. She slipped on her black swimsuit and then put on her jean shorts and a white crop top. After examining herself in the mirror and deciding she looked decent enough she ran down the stairs toward the front door.

"Bye mom," Evelyn yelled.

"Are you coming home tonight?" her mother asked.

"Not sure. I might stay at Kiara's again," Evelyn said shutting the door behind her before her mother could protest.