Chapter 44: Running From Sadness

It had now been hours since Evelyn had been standing in the tent crying her eyes out...she was now laying in bed next to Topper staring up at the ceiling.

Toppers mom had told her that her parents had called her immediately when they got the call about her. They'd asked her to go and pick her up, hopefully they'd be home tomorrow. Evelyn had gone back to Toppers house with him and his mom. Looking back she should have gone with JJ, Kie, or Pope. But at the time her body felt numb, like she wasn't even in it. Now she just felt regret. Regret that she didn't hug John B before he left, regret that she even went along with the idea to send him on a boat when the storm was coming, and most of all regret that she'd never get to speak to him or Sarah again. Sadness filled her entire body, and she would do anything to feel something else. Topper stirring next to her broke her from her thoughts.

"You alright?" Topper asked next to her.

Evelyn didn't answer, just continued to stare up at the ceiling. Was she all right? Hell no. Would she be all right? She didn't know.

"Have you slept at all?" Topper asked.

"No," Evelyn croaked out, her throat dry and sore from all the crying she did hours ago.

"You need to get some rest," Topper said scooting closer to the girl.

"How am I supposed to sleep when two of my friends just died," Evelyn asked.

"They don't know for sure that they're dead," Topper assured, "They said they were going to keep looking."

Evelyn wanted to cry again, but she couldn't. She had absolutely no tears left.

"They took an open boat into a storm," she said, "What are the chances of them actually surviving."

Topper was quiet for a minute, because in all reality he knew the girl was right, they probably hadn't made it. It tore him up inside to have lost Sarah. But he knew that Evelyn needed him right now, so he'd deal with his own emotions about the situation later.

"Come here," Topper said pulling Evelyn to where she was looking at him, "The police are doing everything they can to find them. If they are still out there we should know soon. Don't worry yourself sick until we know for sure."

"I just can't fathom life with him," Evelyn whispered.

Topper pulled the girl closer, placing a kiss on her forehead, "I know. Everything will be all right."

Topper moved his head down so that his forehead was resting on hers. Evelyn let out a shaky breath as she closed her eyes. She just wished that she could feel any emotion except for hurt and sadness right now. Evelyn opened her eyes and looked into Toppers, his dark blue eyes piercing down into hers.

Without thinking, Evelyn smashed her lips into Topper. Craving any kid of emotion she could get. Trying to push away the events of the last few hours.

"Ev," Topper said pulling back, "What are you doing?"

"Kissing you," Evelyn said.

"I don't think this is a good idea," Topper said, "You've been through a lot in the past few hours."

"Topper," Evelyn said grabbing his face, "This is exactly what I need."

She pulled him back toward her face, connecting their lips again. Topper pulled away again making the girl groan.

"I somehow feel like you're just doing this to push away your emotions not because you actually want to," Topper said.

"That's not why," Evelyn said, "And plus it's not like we haven't kissed before."

"And I remember you saying it was weird," Topper said.

"Feelings change," Evelyn said.

"Ev," Topper said.

"Top," Evelyn mocked.

"I just don't think it's a good idea," Topper said.

"Would you rather me go find a random stranger," Evelyn said.

"No!" Topper said quickly.

"They shut up and kiss me," Evelyn said.

Evelyn pressed her lips back into Toppers as she finally started kissing her back. Evelyn rolled them over so that Topper was laying flat on his back and she was straddling him. Topper kissed down her neck stopping right below her collar bone and trailing kissed down to her shoulder. Evelyn let out a moan as Topper kissed back on her neck. Evelyn sat up starting to pull her shirt over her head.

"What are you doing?" Topper asked putting his hands on her arm and stopping her.

"Taking off my shirt. What does it look like I'm doing?" Evelyn questioned.

"I don't think—"

"Topper you're being ridiculous," Evelyn said rolling her eyes as she took her shirt off.

Toppers eyes went wide as the girl threw her shirt behind her. She wasn't wearing a bra so Topper could see everything. She felt him grow harder underneath her. With one shift of her hips, a moan fell from Toppers lips. Evelyn leaned down trailing kissed down Toppers chest and onto his stomach. She stopped placing kissed all along the line of his shorts. Toppers body gave in, twitching underneath the girls touch.

"Now," Evelyn said looking at the boy, "Are we gonna do this or what?"

Topper looked down at the girl. His mind was telling him no but his body was telling him to rip the rest of her clothes off.

"You're sure you aren't doing this to suppress your feelings?" Topper asked.

"I'm sure," Evelyn lied.

"And you promise this is actually what you want," Topper asked.

"I promise," Evelyn said, "I want to do this."

"Have you ever had sex before?" Topper asked.

"Yes," Evelyn lied again.

Truthfully she had been waiting for the right person. But who was a better person that her child hood best friend?

"All right," Topper said, "But if at any point you want me to stop just tell me and I'll stop."

Evelyn nodded her head eagerly.

"Lay down. I gotta grab a condom," Topper said.

Evenly laid down on her back and slipped her shorts off. She had so many emotions running through her body right now, none of them being hurt or sadness.

Topper moved so that his body was hovering over the girl. He looked down at her and she looked up at him eagerly.

"You're sure?" Topper questioned again.

"Just shut up, Topper," Evelyn said grabbing the boys face and pulling him into a kiss, "I want this."

Did you see that coming?!?! 👀👀

This is the last chapter of this book! Hopefully I can start on season 2 soon! 💛

Please remember to vote and comment, anything helps!
~A