Chapter 36: You Like Like Him

"Thanks for picking me up," Evelyn said climbing into the car, "I wasn't sure who else to call."

"No problem," Topper said, "What the hell are you doing all the way out here anyway?"

"It's a long story," Evelyn said, "Could you take me home?"

"Sure," Topper said driving away.

Evelyn stayed quiet the whole car ride home. She was hoping that they would drive past JJ, just so she could see that he was safe. But the closer they got to Figure Eight the more that hope got smaller and smaller. When Topper pulled up into her driveway and stopped the car, that hope was completely diminished.

"Thanks for the ride," Evelyn said.

"Anytime," Topper said, "Umm...are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah," Evelyn said, "Like I said, it's just been a long day."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Topper asked.

"I don't know," Evelyn admitted.

"Well I'm here if you ever need to talk," Topper assured.

"Thanks, Top," Evelyn said giving a small smile to the boy.

"No problem, Bee," Topper said smiling at the girl.

"Do you want to come in?" Evelyn asked.

"Oh no," Topper said, "I should get going."

"Come on," Evelyn said, "My dad would be mad if he knew you dropped me off and didn't come in to say hi."

"Oh all right," Topper said turning off the car, "I'd hate for Mr. Blackwood to be mad."

Evelyn walked up to the front door, Topper following her. This had been the first time she'd been home in several days, and she knew her parents would be upset. That's honestly why she invited Topper in, she was hoping her parents would go easier on her with Topper around.

She entered the house to see suit cases at the bottom on the stairs. She let out a sigh, hoping they weren't full of her stuff.

"Mom, Dad!" Evelyn yelled.

"Are your parents going somewhere?" Topper asked.

"I hope so," Evelyn mumbled.

"Evelyn Beatrice Blackwood," her mother said.

"Uh oh," Topper whispered, "The full name."

"Shut up," Evelyn said glancing at Topper as her mom walked into the foyer.

"Where have you been?" Allison asked crossing her arms.

"I was with my friends," Evelyn said.

"And that means you can even bother to call?" her father asked walking down the stairs.

"No. I'm sorry. I should have called," Evelyn said.

"Hey, Topper," Jake smiled.

"Hi Mr. Blackwood," Topper said.

"I've told you before son, call me Jake," he said.

"Right, sorry," Topper smiled nervously.

"Well I hate to leave seeing as you just got home," Allison said, "But your father and I have to get to the airport."

"Where are you guys going?" Evelyn asked.

"Last minute business," Jake said.

"We were hoping you'd get home before we left so we could tell you bye," Allison said, "If not we would have had to call you on the way to the airport."