Chapter 24: Midsummers

"Why do I even have to go?" Evelyn whined.

It had been several hours since Topper had dropped her off at home and she was standing in front of her mirror as her mom placed the flower crown on her head.

"Because it is a party and you will go and have fun," Allison said.

"Mom I'm not going to like anyone there," Evelyn complained.

"Won't Kiara be there?" Allison asked placing her hand on her daughters shoulder.

"Well yes but-"

"Then there will be someone there you like," Allison said, "Just go, have some fun for one night."

--

Evelyn walked into the party with her parents. Her eyes immediately spotted Kiara standing by her parents.

"I'm gonna say hi to Kie," Evelyn said.

"All right sweetie, have fun," Jake said.

Evelyn walked up to Kiara who had an annoyed looked on her face, "Can you believe this."

"I know," Kiara complained, "We're here at midsummers while the cut has absolutely no power."

"Welcome to life as a Kook," Evelyn mumbled.

Kiara bumped Evelyns arm motioning toward Pope, "Shall we go say hi?"

"I believe we shall," Evelyn said in a British accent.

"Excuse me, sir," Kiara said in a British accent, "Do we have to shuck these ourselves?"

Pope turned around with an annoyed look, his eyes softening when he saw the two girls in front of him.

"Because it might mess up our costumes," Evelyn said in an equally horrible British accent.

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" Pope asked doing and handshake with Kiara, "Those accents were bad."

"They were," Evelyn laughed.

"You ever seen this many Kooks in one place?" Kiara asked as the three looked out at the crowd.

"Yeah," Pope said, "Last year."

"We're in the lions den," Kiara said.

Evelyns eyes landed on Topper, as if he could sense her stare, he looked up locking eyes with her. The boy sent her a small smile before turning back to his conversation with Kelce.

"Have either of you heard from JJ?" Pope asked making Evelyn look back at him.

"No," Evelyn said, "He was already bailed out by the time my dad and I got to the police station."

She wasn't quite sure why she left out the part about seeing Luke hit JJ. Maybe it was because she didn't want to think about it at all.

"He'll be all right," Kiara said, "He's got the survival instincts of a cockroach."

"It's all my fault," Pope said.

"You didn't do this Pope," Evelyn said.

"Topper almost killed you. Remember?" Kiara said.

Clapping from the crowd caught Evelyn's attention. She looked up to see Ward and Rose Cameron walking out.

"Here come Lord Capital and the Exploiters," Kiara said.

"She's definitely gonna poke somebody's eye out with that," Pope said referring to the headpiece Rose was wears.

"Kinda reminds me of Lady Liberty," Evelyn admitted making Pope and Kiara laugh.