Chapter 18: This Is War

Kiara and John B swam under the water in front of the drone.

"What's that?" JJ asked trying to touch a button.

"Don't touch that!" Pope said smacking his hand away, "I'm trying to work out this thing."

"God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man," JJ said, "What would we do without you to control the drones?"

"JJ he's not a geek," Evelyn said.

"Technically it's not a drone. It's an ROV," Pope said.

"Shut up," JJ said.

"Pope," Evelyn said, "I'm trying to help you out here and you go and say something nerdy like that."

"Hey look, once we get footage of the wreck we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim," John B said from the water.

"It's such bullshit. Why do we have to do that?" JJ asked.

"Well there is maritime salvage law," Pope said, "You can't just go down to the ocean floor and scoop whatever you want up."

"I know. I know," JJ said, "It's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro."

"As soon as they see the footage they'll work for a comp," John B said.

"How do you know all of that?" Kiara asked.

"Cause my dad said it, like a million times," John B said.

"Yeah that's fair," Kiara said swimming toward the ladder.

"This tether is, like, really long," Pope said.

"In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around," Evelyn said.

"Then we'll go at dead calm," John B said.

"Slack tide?" Kiara said.

"So now, we gotta wait around for the right weather," Pope said looking up at the sky, "And today is not that day."

Evelyn looked up at the sky seeing dark cloud rolling it.

- -

"Hun," Allison said, "Would you be able to drop these paper off at the country club for me? I'm running behind for an appointment."

"Sure thing, mom," Evelyn said.

"Thank you so much sweetie," Allison said kissing her daughter on the forehead, "I'll see you later."

Evelyn finished eating her bowl of cereal before washing it out and placing it into the sink. She grabbed the papers that her mom had given her and walked out the door.

Since it was a beautiful day, and she didn't live far from the country club, Evelyn decided to walk. The fresh air and exercises would do her good.

After about a 5 minute walk she arrived at the country club. Evelyn walked up to the front desk with the papers.

"Hello Miss Blackwood. How are you?" the lady at the front said.

"I'm good. How are you?" Evelyn asked.

"I'm good," the lady replied, "What can I help you with today?"

"Oh my mother wanted me to drop these off here," Evelyn said handing the lady the papers.

"Thank you very much," she replied.

"Thank you," Evelyn said, "Have a great day."

"You as well," she said.

Evelyn decided to go grab a bottle of water before leaving the country club so that she could have it on the way back home.

"What can I get for you?" the guy at the counter asked.