Chapter 41: I'm Always Here For You

"Perfect focus," Pope mumbled to himself.

"You sure this is a good idea?" JJ asked as Kiara got out of the car.

After leaving John B and ditching the cops, Kiara thought it would be a good idea to go talk to Sarah.

"She's the only one who can clear John B," Kiara said as she and Pope walked up to the wall around the Cameron's house.

"Last place they'll look because of how stupid it is," JJ said.

"This is not a good situation," Evelyn said as she watched Pope struggle to get over the wall.

"None of this is a good situation," JJ said.

Evelyn couldn't help but let her mind wander to John B. She hoped whatever he was doing right now, he was laying low and staying safe.

"Do you think he's alright?" Evelyn asked.

"He has to be," JJ said quietly.

Evelyn looked over at the boy who was staring out the window. She knew out of all of them this was hurting JJ the most. John B was his best friend, really all he hand in the world. And the chance that could be ripped from him was devastating. JJ needed her more now than ever. Evelyn reached over and grabbed JJ's hand making the boy look at her.

"It'll work out. It always does," she reassured him as she squeezed his hand twice.

The boy sent her a soft smile, "Yeah."

"You're just gonna get the Phantom keys, and we're gonna need to grab extra gas, and food for him," Evelyn said thinking about everything that John B would need.

"Getting the keys might now be easy," JJ said.

"Why not?" Evelyn questioned.

"My dad...he usually has them on him," JJ said.

Evelyn sighed know this was gonna be harder than they though. There was no way JJ's dad was just going to give him the keys to his boat.

"Listen JJ, about what Kie said the other night," Evelyn said.

"It's fine," JJ said.

"No. It's not fine," Evelyn said, "I could tell it hurt you."

JJ didn't say anything, just sat the and fiddled with the ring on his finger.

"I know you don't like getting into all of this emotional stuff," Evelyn said, "I know it all must be hard, and I can't even begin to imagine...but I'm always here if you need to talk or even just to sit with someone."

JJ surprised the girl by pulling her into a hug. She immediately hugged him back, pulling him close to her body. Evelyn felt safe in JJ's arms.

The two were still in a weird place since they hadn't really talked about what was going on between the two of them. They both had decided to wait until after they got the gold to talk about what was going on between them. That was now looking like it was going to be a lot further away than they expected.

"Thank you," JJ whispered as he pulled away from the hug.

Evelyn smiled at the boy as he started to lean in to kiss her. The car door opening make the two pull back from one another.

Evelyn looked to see Kiara giving her a questioning look, but she thankfully didn't say anything.

"That was wild!" Pope said getting in the car, "I almost caught myself on fire."

"I think you need to go somewhere and sleep off all the weed you've consumed in the past 24 hours," Evelyn said looking at Pope.

"We can sleep at The Wreck," Kiara said starting the car.

"Did you see Sarah?" JJ asked.

"Yeah. Her dad has her locked in her room. She doesn't have anything to do with John B's wanted posters," Kiara said.

The car ride to The Wreck was silent. The group was exhausted from hiding and running from the cops. You can't exactly sleep when you're on edge all the time. Evelyn got out of the car and started to walk inside.

"You guys go ahead," Kiara said.

Evelyn looked back at her friend who was leaning against the car.

"You comin?" JJ asked Evelyn.

"I'll be in there in a minute," Evelyn said.

JJ walked into The Wreck as Evelyn walked over to Kiara.

"Hey," Evelyn said.

"Hey," Kiara said.

"You all right?" Evelyn asked.

"As all right as I can be I guess," Kiara said, "I'm just worried about John B."

"I'm sure he's fine," Evelyn said, "JJ will get the boat tomorrow and then he'll be able to get out. We can clear his name and then he'll be able to come back."

"I hope you're right," Kiara said.

Silence fell over the girls as they looked up into the sky at the stars.

"So you and JJ huh?" Kiara asked.

"You saw that?" Evelyn asked.

"I mean you guys were basically making out in the back seat," Kiara joked.

"We were not!" Evelyn said shoving Kiara in the arm and making the girl laugh some more.

"So I'm guessing you finally went for it then," Kiara said.

"Actually JJ kissed me," Evelyn said, "The night I showed up at the chateau when he bought the hot tub. I climbed into the hot tub and was hugging him while he cried. When he pulled away he kissed me."

"Ahh your first kiss in the cats ass...how romantic," Kiara laughed.

"I honestly think that's probably about as romantic as JJ gets," Evelyn said.

"So did you guys talk about it?" Kiara asked, "Are you together now?"

Evelyn let out a deep sigh.

"That complicated huh?" Kiara asked.

"Well we talked about it the day after and decided that we were just going to wait until we got the gold and then figure out us. But now that everything's gone down, I don't know what's going to happen."

"If it's truly meant to be you guys will figure it out," Kiara said.

"I know. Right now there is just more important things going on," Evelyn said as silence fell over the girls again.

"You guys comin' in or what?" JJ yelled out to the girls.

"We're coming," Evelyn said throwing her arm around Kiara, "Let's go get some sleep. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a long day."