Chapter 26: Let Me Explain

"Where the hell have to been young lady?" Jake asked as Evelyn walked through the door.

Evelyn stopped, looking up at her parents. This was the first time she had seen her parents since leaving midsummers.

"I was um--"

"Save it," her mom said, "Your father and I were up half the night worried sick about you. First you run off and midsummers with those friends of yours. And then you stay out all night, not bothering to tell us where you are."

"I'm sorry mom," Evelyn said.

"No. I'm sorry is not going to cut it this time," Jake said, "You are grounded."

"Wha--that's not fair!" Evelyn said.

"I believe that is more than fair for what you've put us through," Jake said, "And you are never to see those boys again."

"Mom," Evelyn said looking at her mother who just looked away, "I'm sorry that I left midsummers and I'm sorry that I was out all night and didn't call. John B got really hurt and it was late and we all just crashed at the chateau."

"Hurt? What happened?" Allison asked.

"He got pushed our of the Hawk's Nest," Evelyn said.

"Oh my goodness honey, is he alright?" Allison asked, her eyes softening.

"He's gonna be fine," Evelyn said, "But we didn't know that last night."

"I'm just glad you're okay," her mom said pulling her into a hug.

"I'm sorry," Evelyn whispered looking up at her dad, "You can be mad at me all you want, but please don't forbid me from seeing them again."

"All right," her dad sighed, "You can see them again. But you are still grounded for running out of midsummers like that. It was an embarrassment to our family."

"Thank you, dad," Evelyn said giving her dad a hug.

"I'm just glad you're safe," he said pulling away from the hug, "Now go to your room."

Evelyn nodded her head, making her way up to her room. She sighed as she closed her bedroom door, leaning against it. She knew by tomorrow that her parents would forgetting out her being grounded and that she'd be free to do as she pleased. But for today, it looked like she'd be stuck in her room.

She walked over to her bathroom deciding to take a shower. Since the cut was still out of power that meant that the chateau didn't have any air conditioning. That combined with JJ's body heat next to her meant she was sweating all night, but somehow she never moved away form the boy. She had woken up this morning in the exact position they had fallen asleep in that night. They had both thankfully woke up  before Kiara and Pope, so neither of them had to explain their cuddling position.

After getting out of the shower, she walked over putting on a matching comfy set with some fuzzy socks. It was warm out, but she'd be in her room all day so the fuzzy socks were a must. Evelyn turned on Netflix flipping through and trying to decide what to watch. A knock on her door caught her attention.

"Hey honey," Allison said sticking her head in, "Your father and I are going to go out for dinner with the Thornton's."

"All right, mom," Evelyn said.

"There is leftover pizza down stairs in the fridge if you get hungry," Allison said.

"Thanks," Evelyn said as her mom shut the door as she went back to scrolling, looking for a show.

- -

After about an hour of watching multiple different shows, Evelyn stomach growled indicating that she was hungry. She climbed out of bed, walking down the stairs toward the kitchen. Pulling the fridge open, she grabbed out the pizza box placing it on the counter. She grabbed a piece taking a bite out of it, cold pizza was always the best.

The door belling ringing startled her, who could be here? Evelyn grabbed her phone checking to see if Pope, Kie, or JJ had text her. When she saw nothing she placed her phone back in her pocket slowly walking toward the front door. Whoever was at the door and rang the door bell once again. She put her hand on the front door taking a deep breath before pulling it open. She let out a sigh of relief seeing Topper standing in front of her. That relief quickly turned to anger.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she said through gritted teeth.

"Look, let me explain," Topper said.

"What exactly is there to explain, Topper?" Evelyn asked, "You pushed John B off of the Hawks Nest. He could have died!"

"Can I please just come in," Topper said looking around him.

"Fine," Evelyn said opening the door wider so that Topper could walk in, "You have one minute."

"One? That's not even enough to--"

"45 seconds left," Evelyn said crossing her arms.

"I didn't push him, okay," Topper said.

"Oh so he just magically fell then?" Evelyn scoffed, "Do you really think I'm that stupid."

"No--I just. I did push him but not hard enough for him to break the rail," Topper said, "It must have been rotting, you know how old that wood is."

"And what exactly made you think it was a good idea to push him when you guys were that high up anyway?" Evelyn asked.

"He was kissing Sarah," Topper said, "And I just got so angry. I was trying to get her to come with me and he was trying to stop her...it all happened so fast. I pushed him back, but I swear I didn't intentionally push him off of the Hawk's Nest."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?" Evelyn asked.

"You don't, other than trusting me because you know I'd never intentionally trying and kill someone," Topper said making Evelyn laugh.

"Topper this is the second time you've almost killed John B," Evelyn said, "And need I remind you about you also almost killing Pope."

"Evelyn," Topper said taking a step toward the girl.

"No," Evelyn said backing away, "You just told my yesterday afternoon that you were going to change. That you were trying to be a better person and that you wanted to work on our friendship. Then you go and do something like this."

"I know. Okay, I know I fucked up," Topper said, "But I wasn't lying to you yesterday when I said I was working on being a better person and that I wanted to work on our friendship. You can't expect me to just completely change within a couple of hour. I mean come on, I just caught my girlfriend cheating on me with another guy."

Evelyn couldn't help but feel sympathetic for Topper. She could see how much Topper had cared for Sarah, how much he still did. For her to just go and cheat on him, with John B none the less, had to have hurt him a lot. Evelyn groaned running her hands through her hair.

"I can't keep doing this Topper," Evelyn said, "You told me that you were going to change, you need to actually be taking steps to do that."

"I will," Topper said grabbing the girls hand, "Just give me one more chance. Seriously, if I fuck up again, I won't ever talk to you again if that's what you want."

Evelyn looked into the boys eyes, and for the second time in the past 24 hours she accepted his apology, "Fine."

Was he actually being genuine this time? Only time would tell. But what hurt her even more than not know if she could trust him, was the thought of forever losing her childhood best friend.

Please vote and comment! 💛